david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get Into the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Halloween is one of the most wonderful times of the year – it’s like Christmas for me. That being said, as soon as the leaves start to fall (or as soon as I see a pumpkin spice latte), I start to get into the Halloween spirit. Before college, it was so easy to get into the spirit with everyone’s parents decorating their houses and lawns, but things are are different now! However, fear not, collegiettes – there are still plenty of ways to get into the Halloween spirit during college, and here are six easy ways to do so!

1. Decorate your dorm or apartment

It doesn’t matter how small your apartment or dorm room is – there are still plenty of ways to decorate (and on a budget!) One of my favorite ways is to put craft pumpkins everywhere! You don’t even how to carve a real one and deal with the smell – stores like Target and Walmart sell plastic ones. Don’t forget to pick up some pumpkin scented candles too!

2. Watch Halloween movies

In my opinion, I think there should be 31 days of Halloween movies on Freeform, but sadly, there are only 13. That doesn’t mean you have to wait until October 19 to start watching your favorite Halloween movies, though! Go on Netflix or Hulu and watch some of your favorites, like Hocus Pocus or Halloweentown!

3. Bake Halloween cookies

All I have to say is: Pillsbury Halloween sugar cookies…

4. Start planning your Halloween costume

It’s never too early to start planning your Halloween costume – I have been planning since August! Start thinking of ideas so you can get your costumes and accessories in time before they sell out. Pro tip: Pinterest the best places to get started with ideas!

5. Start brainstorming group costumes

What’s better than planning a costume for yourself? Planning out a group costume with your friends! Group costumes can end up being some of the funniest costumes too! It may take some time to agree on a costume so the earlier you start looking, the better.

6. Go on a festive fall outing

My favorite thing about Halloween is the time leading up to it doing festive fall activities. Grab your friends and go apple picking or to a pumpkin patch or even a haunted house. If there isn’t one nearby, check out the local farmer’s market for pumpkins and apple cider! Halloween is the best time of year not only because of the costumes and candy, but because of the time you spend with your friends!

Happy almost Halloween, collegiettes! 

My name is Chioma (although everyone calls me Chi) and I am a Junior at Penn State University where i am a communications major with an artistic entrepreneurship minor. I am originally from a small town in Northern New Jersey about 25 minutes from New York so I pretty much am in the city at least a couple times a month to go shopping (usually more depending on how “empty” my closet is), to get brunch, or to just bask in the beauty that is NYC! I definitely like to experiment with my style but my main style could be described as “Boho Chic.” Fashion is everywhere around us, not just in store windows. As CoCo Chanel once said, “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” I get my inspiration from everywhere and I am excited to be able to share that inspiration with all of you!
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.