How To Get An Expensive-Looking Makeover For Cheap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a girl who changes her hair every time she has a mood swing (which is unfortunately very often), I have always been on the search for a stylist that I could trust my life with or, more importantly, my hair. Every woman I have asked at school always gives the same reply, “I’ll just wait ‘til I go home.” But for those of you who aren’t driving home every other weekend, a semester could be a long time to go without taming the mane. Well, have no fear ladies, I have found an angel amongst us and her name is Jenny of J. Rose & Co. Salon.

I know what you’re thinking… why haven’t I heard of this place? Well, this California-inspired salon just opened its doors last January and is nestled inside the clubhouse of the Retreat apartments.  

Jenny, hailing from LA, has not taken her time when it comes to claiming the title of best hairstylist in State College. Perhaps her passion and knowledge for hair as well as her experience working behind the scenes of TV shows such as Monica the Medium made this an easy win. To prove her title, Jenny offered to style the hair of one of our Her Campus girls, which of course was me! 

With having been a redhead, I would give her a run for her money by bringing it back to my blonde side. It wasn’t an easy task, but with my hair in mind, Jenny helped me ease my way back to blonde with a couple of processes and lots of toning shampoo. 

She also shaped up my bob just the way I like it. As an added bonus, when she was done with my hair, she even showed me how to contour my face. 

So makeup too?! Yup, she does it all.

Transformation Tuesday, am I right?

Now, for what you really want to know… can I afford it? With a 25 percent discount for Retreat residents and a discount for their friends, Jenny works really hard to give you a look you love without forcing you to eat ramen for the next three weeks. Once you’re a client with her, five referrals and your next haircut is free!

Jenny really wants the community to know that they are welcome in her chair. She even goes as far as to holding an event called “We Love the Locals.” During this time, the natives of State College can book an appointment and name their price! This is something truly unique from all other salons. 

So for that next frat formal, team banquet or job interview, keep J. Rose & Co in mind! If I haven’t completely convinced you yet, maybe the salon puppy will! 

Sarah Kidder is a senior at Penn State's Schreyer Honors College with a major in Biobehavioral Health as well as minors in Biology, Spanish and Global Health. She intends to pursue a career in writing while also advocating for women's rights across the globe. This is her first semester as a writer for Her Campus! Whether it be slam poetry or another relatable listicle, Sarah is eager to be a part of the HC team. When she isn't writing, Sarah is dancing with her hip hop dance organization, Raw Aesthetic Movements, or riding horses as a member of the Penn State Equestrian Team. She also enjoys art, so you can always find her with her sketchbook in hand. Ultimately, Sarah dreams to write for a major publication about women's health and lifestyle.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.