How to Dress for Success: A Collegiette’s Guide to Interview Attire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For most of us, the spring semester means it’s crunch time to figure out what kind of great internships we’ll be participating in in the summer months to come. However, before the offers and final plans can be made, there is one crucial step that can be extremely stressful for many students: the interview.

Living in the middle of Pennsylvania, often means that many companies will agree to do a phone interview. In that case, any outfit will do, even pajamas. Just make sure you’ve done your research and you have allotted at least an hour of your time to be on the phone (most interviews last about 15 to 30 minutes, but you never know).

For those of us, though, who have been asked by a specific company to do an in-person interview, pajamas just will not do.

For starters, get excited. Being offered an interview for a company, no matter how big or small, is an honor and one that you should be very proud of.

In person interviews can be very different depending on the industry. For example, some companies are extremely conservative and require suits, while some may be more laid back and allow their employees to dress a little more casual. No matter what company you’ll be having an interview with, we’ve compiled a few tips to make your day that much less overwhelming.

Finance, Law and Buisness:
This is a much more conservative industry.  Stick to a basic black pants or skirt suit, and shorter black pumps. Pair the outfit with simple jewelry like pears or basic studs. Basically keep everything, clean, neat, and simple.

Marketing/Advertising, Music, Fashion (more creative industries):
While still keeping your look classy and clean, add certain accents that exemplify your creativity. We love a great, bright bag, or a pop of color in jewelry. Again, do not go overboard. Your accents should compliment you, not distract from you. If you’re interviewing for a fashion company, definitely show them that you know what you’re doing. Your wardrobe will explain a lot about your sense of style and if you’ll fit in with their company or not.

If you’re lacking interview appropriate pieces in your wardrobe, stores like Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor LOFT, Banana Republic, The Limited and J.Crew offer student discounts.

All in all, just relax, smile, and be confident. Hair should be clean and off your face, free of any distracting accessories or pink highlights. In almost all cases, your makeup should be minimal—you want them to focus on your resume, not on your purple eye shadow.