How to Avoid Being Basic This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Well, it’s that time again.  Halloween will be here in less than two weeks. You know you will see girls dressed as cats and bunnies sauntering their way down to frat land.   Typical, isn’t it? 

As you are getting ready to go out or planning your Halloween outfit, you may be thinking, how can I stand out from the crowd?  You want a costume that will make you memorable. What if you meet a guy in a prince charming costume during Halloweekend?  He most likely won’t remember you if you’re dressed as a black cat, but if you wear something that takes a little more time to put together, you’ll be sure to stand out in his memory.  

Here are some costume ideas to make sure your costume will be anything but basic:

My Little Pony

Part your hair off to one side and use hair chalk to turn your hair the perfect pastel shade. Choose your outfit to match the color of the My Little Pony colors you are going for. You can even use glitter eyeliner around your eyes for a more dramatic look.

Ariana Grande

This one is especially easy if you have ombré hair. Just pull your hair up into a slick pony, find a cute high-waisted, flowy skirt and a tight cropped tank in a neutral color. Fashionable boots or high heeled pumps are the best shoes for this outfit. For makeup, contour your face and use foundation and finish your look with sparkly eye shadow and some winged liquid eyeliner and mascara or fake lashes. If you feel like really committing, carry a blow-up microphone with you.

Miley Cyrus from the VMAs

This hairstyle is actually super easy. Part your hair into two sections, take a hair-tie and tie each section into ponytails, twist each section into a bun and secure it. Find a silver bodysuit for your outfit and the shoes can be platform sneakers or a pair of Converse. Lastly, don’t forget your red lipstick and the famous foam finger.

Cheerleader

Although a lot of girls dress like nurses or cops, I hardly ever see a cheerleader costume anymore. Just take an old long sleeve tee and decorate it with iron letters from the craft store to spell the name of a made up high school or college. Then, cut your top so it’s a crop top. For your bottoms find a tight pencil skirt in a matching color, you can use duct tape for the piping if you want and wear white sneakers for your shoes. For your makeup, keep it natural but super glam. Glitter always helps!  For your hair you can do a half up hair style with a curl, bun or pigtails.

80s or 90s inspired 

Can you say nostalgia?  For 90s, wear a denim button down top and a flowy skirt and wrap your hair in a scrunchie. For an 80s look, wear a bright tank top with leggings and some bright legwarmers. Keep with the bright theme when it comes to your makeup as well.  For shoes, wear a pair of Converse or some brightly colored heels.

Hello Kitty inspired costume

So technically this is still a cat costume, but it has more thought put into it, so it’s definitely not basic. For your outfit wear a pink tutu and a white tee or tank top. Use white cat ears and a red bow. Your shoes can be black heels or, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can wear some red heels to dress it up. Draw on some kitty whiskers and a nose and it’s complete.

Nerd or Hipster

Find some big glasses, apply some winged eyeliner and a bright lipstick. For your outfit, you can wear an unbuttoned flannel or overalls with a crop top.  For bottoms, you can wear faded skinny jeans or leggings with suspenders. Ideal shoes would be some combat boots or Doc Martens.

Despicable Me! Minion

For this one wear a yellow beanie, yellow tee, denim shorts (or jeans) and black suspenders. Throw on a pair of Converse and use goggles or a homemade eye headband on top of your beanie.

Gossip Girl characters

Choose your favorite Gossip Girl character and one of your favorite outfits from the show. Yep, it’s that easy.

Pokémon

For example, you can be Pikachu.  All you need is Pikachu ears and a tail, which you can find online.  Wear a yellow cami or tee and then black bottoms such as leggings or shorts. For makeup, you can use black eyeliner and then red blush.

Another Pokémon you could do is Charmander.  For this outfit, temporarily dye your hair red or orange and then find an orange tee and red suspenders. Your bottoms can be jeans or shorts. For accessories and everything else, try to incorporate a fire theme.

Pretty Little Liars characters

This one is also easy and not overdone. Just pick your favorite PLL character and dress as them for Halloween. What’s even better?  Get your friends or roomies to make up the rest of the PLL cast!

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.