Hot or Not? Guys Weigh In On the Latest Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As I sit on the couch watching my fourth consecutive episode of Project Runway, I wonder what my boyfriend thinks of the outfits the designers proudly parade down the runway. Which leads me to consider, how often do boys notice fashion trends, if at all?

We asked PSU boys their opinion on past and present fashion trends to see if they were in the loop for this season’s hottest looks.  Some admitted they weren’t exactly ‘fashion forward,’ but gave their thoughts on a number of trends, from winged eyeliner to blanket scarves. Let’s see how they weighed in!

1. Black/Dark Lipstick

94% of those surveyed said this is a fashion DON’T.

“Black lipstick reminds me of Wednesday Addams.” – Joshua Villanueva, freshman

“Ehh, not into this witchcraft.” – Tonnam Balankura, graduate student and past Campus Celeb

Even though most boys found this lip to be intimidating and creepy, colors such as vampy violet and other darker shades are totally IN for this fall. Channel your inner Buffy, and rock the darker look!

2. High-Waisted Pants

82% said if done right, this is a fashion DO.

“Yes. High-waisted pants with crop tops are one of my favorite looks! In my opinion, high-waisted pants make legs appear longer and skinnier.”- Haesung Jung, freshman

“I can really dig these on the right girl/with the right outfit.” Tyler Pion, junior and past Campus Cutie

While some were “not really into the geriatric look,” most guys were fans of the high-waisteds, and so were the designer’s at Paris’ Fashion Week. Skinny pants with a higher waist appear to top the low-rise look for this fall. Do yourself a favor, and give your legs some extra length with this style.

3. Winged Eyeliner

64% were on board with the cat eye!

“Yaaaaaasssss dem catty eyes.” – Josh Lee, senior

“Looks good, liner on fleek.” – Chris Boboc, sophomore

Even though this may be one of the harder trends to master, keep watching those YouTube tutorials ladies because this style is perfect for everyday style or a night out! You’ll also have a new reason for running late. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither is perfectly winged eyeliner.

4. UGGs

69% said to leave these boots in the closet!

UGGs are UGGly.” – James Phillips, junior                 

UGGs are very middle school.” – David Jeong, sophomore

We would like to agree with the guys on this one, but rumor has it that Vogue has declared UGGs are back. Although, that doesn’t mean you should whip out that mini skirt to go with it – there are boundaries, people. But for those of you who cannot seem to part with your beloved sheepskin boots, here are a couple dos and don’ts of UGG fashion.

DO wear with jeans and a cute sweater.

DO NOT wear them when it is icy out.  (Because you will fall and die.)

DO keep them clean.

DO NOT wear UGGs for formal occasions.

DO roll the tops down.

5. Blanket Scarves

71% of boys gave two thumbs up for these enlarged, cozy scarves.

“Blanket scarves seem so useful. Like if you were out and you suddenly had to have a spontaneous picnic, you already have something to sit on. And if you feel cold? You’re already wearing a blanket, so just roll yourself into a burrito for warmth.” – Joshua V., freshman

“Yeah, they look good with the right outfit.” – Kris Herrera, senior

While you could easily get lost in a scarf this size, with the right techniques you can have a multifunctional accessory at your disposal. Blankets never looked so good.

6. Fringe

94% of our boys ruthlessly rejected this look.

Eh…no.” – David, sophomore

… And that about sums up the men’s responses. Surprisingly, fringe has made its way onto the runaway and into retailers! Whether it be an embellishment on a sweater, detailing on a handbag, or tasseled boots, this 70’s trend appears to be groovin’ back into our closets!

7. Oversized Jewelry

64% were down with the bling-bling!

Nothing wrong with standing out.”- Chris, sophomore

Could easily look grandma-ish, but with the right jewelry, I think it looks fantastic!” – Chango Zhang, junior

We have to agree that bigger is definitely better! Make a statement this fall with chunky pieces such as drop earrings, breastplate necklaces and of course, loads of pearls, beads and rings. Maybe even snatch that totally vintage broach from your grandma’s jewelry box…kidding. Don’t steal from your grandma, but definitely ask!

For the most part, these boys were shockingly knowledgeable when it came to girl’s fall fashion trends. Hopefully, this means they will know exactly what to get their significant others this holiday season! ;)

Photo credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Sarah Kidder is a senior at Penn State's Schreyer Honors College with a major in Biobehavioral Health as well as minors in Biology, Spanish and Global Health. She intends to pursue a career in writing while also advocating for women's rights across the globe. This is her first semester as a writer for Her Campus! Whether it be slam poetry or another relatable listicle, Sarah is eager to be a part of the HC team. When she isn't writing, Sarah is dancing with her hip hop dance organization, Raw Aesthetic Movements, or riding horses as a member of the Penn State Equestrian Team. She also enjoys art, so you can always find her with her sketchbook in hand. Ultimately, Sarah dreams to write for a major publication about women's health and lifestyle.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.