Homecoming Alumni Relations Director Shannon McConnell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s no secret that Penn State is one of the most proud and spirited universities in the country, and that’s largely credited to our amazing alumni base. What better way to celebrate and honor Penn State’s pride than to serve on the Homecoming Executive Committee? With Homecoming week in full swing, there’s no better person to talk to than Alumni Relations Director Shannon McConnell. 

HC: What made you decide to apply for the Homecoming Executive Committee? 

SM: My sophomore to junior year I was the Alumni Court Captain on the Royalty Committee, and it was one of my favorite experiences at Penn State. Being able to spend Homecoming week with my co-captains after we had become so close and see all of our hard work come to life made me realize I wanted to be involved in the organization at the Executive level. 

HC: Can you tell us a little bit about your position? 

SM: As the Alumni Relations Director I am responsible for being the liaison between Homecoming and the Penn State Alumni Association as well as making sure alumni have a great experience when they return for the various Homecoming Events! Some of the events Alumni Relations is responsible for are the Alumni Lecture Series, Student-Alumni Ice Cream Social held on the Friday of Homecoming week, and the Tailgate Competition which takes place prior to kick-off of the Homecoming game!  

HC: What has been your favorite part of working with alumni? 

SM: Having the opportunity to work with alumni as a student is such a unique experience I have had the pleasure of doing this year. I think my favorite thing about working with alumni is seeing the pride they still hold in Penn State, no matter what year they graduated. Penn State is the one thing we all have in common, whether student or alumni it is something we will all carry with us for the rest of our lives and I think that’s really special!

HC: What would you tell a student who is thinking about becoming involved with Homecoming? 

SM: Definitely do it! Through this organization I have had the opportunity to not only hold some amazing leadership positions but also develop myself professionally as well as personally. Homecoming has also given me some of the most incredible friends I could have ever asked for, I think those relationships are definitely reason enough for anyone to want to do it. 

HC: What are you most excited for during Homecoming week? 

SM: Seeing everyone enjoying themselves at the events we’ve spent all year planning! Homecoming week has so much to offer every day and I’m really excited to share these fun moments with the Penn State community throughout the week. 

HC: If you could describe your time at Penn State in one word, what would it be and why? 

SM: Unforgettable. Being a senior this year and thinking back on the time I’ve spent at Penn State truly makes me realize how lucky I am to go to this university. These past three years, going on four, have been the most incredible years of my life and I cannot imagine ever leaving this place. Thinking about graduating is something I try my hardest to avoid doing, which I think says a lot about the Penn State experience. 

We are so thankful to have such a talented, dedicated student on our Homecoming Executive Board – and we can speak for so many students when we say this Homecoming week has been amazing! 

Adrea is a senior at Penn State and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Business, Women's Studies, and International Studies. She also served as a Chapter Advisor for 8 international chapters during her time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. In addition to Her Campus, Adrea is a senior reporter for Penn State's student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and a contributing writer for Thought Catalog. She is the social media intern for Penn State's Office of Strategic Communications. In the rare time that she's doing something other than writing, she's probably Googling pictures of pugs or consuming an excessive amount of caffeine. Follow her on Twitter: @adreacope