emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Holiday Gifts for a Communications Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We Comm majors have signed up for a pretty fast-paced life. We love what we do, but we can’t do it without some help. There’s a lot that goes into keeping us afloat and constantly on the go, and with the holidays coming up, it’s the perfect time to replenish our stocks so that we can keep killing it. Here are some gift ideas to ask for if you’re a Comm major (or to give to one!):

1. Coffee gift cards

This is a given. We’re busy, we move fast, and coffee is our lifeblood. The cost of one, or multiple, coffees every day adds up quickly, and so gift cards are always welcome.

2. Lots of K-cups

Speaking of coffee, Keurigs are essential for getting our daily dose when we don’t have time to wait on long lines. Asking for K-cups over holiday break will replenish our much-needed stock for the spring.

3. Laptop stickers

Comm majors are creative people and love to express themselves, and the most common way to do that in 2017 is with laptop stickers. It’s too easy to get carried away on Redbubble and go over budget, so this is a great thing to ask for from others. If you split it up between multiple people, it becomes a cheap gift that they will enjoy giving, since it’s personalized to you.

4. New planner

A new year and new schedule calls for a new planner. There’s no better way to start fresh than a blank book that lets you plan from scratch and look forward to the year ahead. Full of stickers and calendars, weekly schedules, and note pages, Lilly Pulitzer and ban.do are my favorite and among the most popular planners to buy for the holidays.

5. Fitbit

We’re always on the move, and we should be getting credit for it. Especially on days when we can’t get to the gym, it’s important to keep track of how much exercise we’re getting. A Fitbit tends to be expensive, so the holiday season is the perfect time to ask someone to splurge for one.

6. Portable charger

With our phones constantly buzzing, we might not have the chance to run home if we forgot to pack a charger for the day – and it gets pretty annoying when our phones die on us. Portable chargers (or charging phone cases) are a great gift to both give and receive, and they truly always come in handy. Whether you need your phone for a meeting after a long day of classes or to take pics throughout game day, an extra charger is a welcome gift.

7. Anything and everything wine-related

Wine = fuel. Naturally, we need to replenish our stock before the spring semester starts. That means glasses, bottle openers, ice buckets, all sorts of accessories and wine-related decorations – and of course, bottles and bottles of the thing itself.

8. Subscriptions (TV, newspapers, magazines)

There’s no future job that a Comm major can have that doesn’t need to be caught up with the news and latest trends. The problem is, there’s a million media outlets that we could follow, and most of them will ask for a subscription after reading a certain number of articles online. It starts to add up, so a subscription is a great gift to ask for so that we can continue to use our favorite outlets. And of course, we need Hulu and Netflix for when we finally have some time to relax.

Any of these gifts are sure to make the future media gurus in your life ecstatic!

Becky Sorensen is a senior at Penn State, double majoring in Public Relations and Political Science. You can find her on campus with an iced coffee in one hand and an everything bagel in the other. Clear your schedule before asking her how she feels about the Harry Potter series, New York City, or about the next trip she’s planning - she tends to ramble. Loudly. You can follow her at @beckylalalaa on Twitter and @beckysorensen on Instagram for hilarious puns or her undying love for THON and Penn State football.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.