Footloose Bar Party Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Joan Jet, neon apparel and big hair could only mean one thing… the 1980s.  

From Kathy Beth Terry getting millions of YouTube hits, to leggings becoming a closet staple, the ‘80s are making a comeback.

Personally, I love things inspired by the ‘80s.  I will admit to watching “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” and owning a pair of acid wash jean shorts.  A slave to my flat iron, I envy a time when the perm was a popular trend.  But, you can’t talk about the this decade without mentioning the dance moves.  So, when I heard a remake of the movie “Footloose” was hitting theaters, I was pretty excited, and it seems that other Penn Staters are as well.  

Last night, a taste of the ‘80s came to the State College bar scene.  To celebrate the upcoming release of Paramount Pictures’ “Footloose,” Happy Valley Communications (HVC), the student-run public relations firm, threw a 1980s-inspired party at Bill Pickle’s Tap Room.  With classic songs from the era, by artists like Blondie and Prince, mixed into the night’s playlist, students felt a touch of that iconic decade.  

Guests were invited to wear ‘80s gear—like one group of students who came decked out in fluorescent, cut-off t-shirts and leg warmers—and show off their best dance moves.

It was a pretty quiet night at Pickle’s, but the laid-back atmosphere made for a good mid-week break and overall, a little bit of the ‘80s to mix up my casual Wednesday night got me ready to go see the movie.  “Footloose” premiers tomorrow, and we’ll see if Kenny Wormland’s moves measure up to Kevin Bacon.