The First Month of Freshman Year as Told By Broadway Musical Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We all know freshman year of college is rough. Getting to know your roommate, trying not to get lost on campus, finding your dining hall – it’s all new and scary. My first month is officially over, and I think I have found some music to perfectly describe it:

1. Move-in Day: “There’s No Cure Like Travel/Bon Voyage” from Anything Goes

2. When your roommate is the first person you meet: “Two by Two” from The Book of Mormon

3. When your parents leave and you realize that they don’t have control over you anymore: “Naughty” from Matilda

4. First Day of Classes: “Anybody Have a Map?” from Dear Evan Hansen

5. When you take your first open discussion class: “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist” from Avenue Q

6. When you’re in a long distance relationship and feel like you’re dying: “No One Else” from Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812

7. When you have a million piles of homework and your parents keep calling: “Call Back in the Morning” from Little Shop of Horrors

8. When you spend all night at Starbucks studying: “Coffee Shop Nights” from Curtains

9. When you don’t have class: “I’m Not Wearing Underwear Today” from Avenue Q

10. When you go to the gym for the first time: “Bend and Snap” from Legally Blonde

11. When you finally start to make friends: “Babkak, Omar, Aladdin, Kassim” from Aladdin

12. When someone asks you to go out on a Tuesday: “Say No To This” from Hamilton

13. When your best friend from home comes to visit: “One Short Day” from Wicked

14. When it’s the night before an exam and you’re ready for death:Stay Alive” from Hamilton

15. When everyone in the class fails the exam: “Drink With Me” from Les Miserables

At least Broadway gets it.

Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.