Fa La La Fun: 5 Festive Date Ideas for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

When people think of the holidays, they think of couples falling in love, ice skating and kissing under the tree in Rockefeller Center. However, after you accomplish this date idea, what’s next? What else can you do to keep the holiday spirit and love alive? Lucky for you, these dates are creative, loveable and continue the holiday spirit.

1. “Wonderful Christmastime”

Simple, but so fun. Pandora is a major help and the Michael Buble Christmas station is a personal fav of mine. Put it on, get into your car, (with a thermos of hot chocolate, of course) and drive around to look at all of the pretty light displays. Some people get really into it and, the more into it they get, the better it is for you and your bae. As an addition to this, you could make a Christmas light scavenger hunt by looking for different things such as “most colored lights”, “Rudolph” or “the weirdest Christmas display”.

2. “Home for the Holidays”

This one is my favorite. Nothing is more fun then getting your hands dirty and creating festive holiday cookies with the one you love. Your cookies could range from sugar cookies to Spritz cookies (the one with the pastry guns); or you could switch things up and make snickerdoodles or the ones with the candied windows. Want more choices? Check out Pinterest!

3. “Baby It’s Cold Outside”

What sounds better then cuddling up, watching Christmas movies and drinking hot chocolate by the fire?  This sounds so cliché but, honestly, it’s one of the best. Some movie suggestions: It’s a Wonderful Life (my personal favorite),  Elf, The Santa Clause, White Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Frosty the Snowman and of course, the classic, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

4. “Walking in a Winter Wonderland”

Nothing says romantic like going out and taking a walk with your bae. There’s nothing like a nice wintry stroll through your neighborhood after cuddling, watching a movie and sipping some hot chocolate. It doesn’t even have to be snowing!  When the moon is shining, put on your snow boots and cute hat, grab your boy by the hand and lead him on a romantic stroll as you two make a fairytale-like date.

5. “Frosty The Snowman”

It’s exactly like it sounds! Who doesn’t love being outdoors and flirting with bae while frolicking in the snow? Build a snowman, throw a flirty snowball across the yard, make snow angels and just enjoy your honey’s company. Maybe you’ll even get that under the stars kiss you’ve been waiting for.

Even if you don’t have a special someone to share this holiday season with, grab a friend, a loved one, and get out and do these too, because there’s never a wrong way to enjoy the holiday season with the people who mean the most to you. 

Meghan Maffey graduated from the Pennslyvania State University in the Spring of 2017. She graduated with a degree in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in English. 
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.