Director Extraordinaire Devon Fields

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Despite being involved with seemingly every activity under the sun, Devon Fields still managed to find the time to direct MasquerAIDS, a cabaret raising money for AIDS, and Spamalot, the spring musical for the Penn State Thespians. He also knows almost everyone campus. Well, not everyone, but you can definitely play the seven degrees of Devon Fields and never make it to seven. What’s the best thing he has made time for so far? An interview with HC Penn State, of course!

HC: You started off this semester directing MasquerAIDS for the Penn State Thespians. What did you hope to achieve with this show, and do you think you succeeded?

DF: I’ve been doing MasquerAIDS since my freshman year, so I came in very strong with a vision for the show, the production, the impact and so much more – I really wanted MasquerAIDS to grow in quality and professionalism. I wanted to be the artistic lead on this amazing benefit show and help continue its driving growth in the community and Thespians itself! I believe this production definitely excelled to new heights, and I couldn’t be more grateful for the creative team and cast I had the pleasure of working with.

HC: Spamalot was just performed at the Schwab Auditorium last month, and it was a huge success! What was the most important thing you learned from directing the show?

DF: Despite Spamalot being so comedic, it definitely taught me a number of things. With a production as large as Spamalot, it takes as many dedicated hands and devoted hearts as possible to make it a success. The process of Spamalot has taught me how to work with people of varying skillsets and work ethics for a common goal. Every person working on Spamalot was different, and I had to create working relationships with each one, friend or stranger, to guarantee the success of the show.

HC: As choreographer of the Singing Lions, a Historian & Alumni Liaison of the Penn State Thespians, a member of Urban Dance Troupe and a participant in many other activities, how in the world do you handle everything?

DF: Since 6th grade I have had an obsession with getting involved with as many things as possible. I’m probably the most crazed and insane when given idle time. I really don’t know how to have “free time.”  I think the answer to this question truly boils down to passion. I have a deep love for the performing arts and being surrounded by people who love doing what they do. I couldn’t maintain any of these things if I didn’t love every second I was involved with them. Don’t get me wrong, it definitely gets tough at times with conflicting rehearsals or performances; but each group has my heart and knows I will do everything in my power to give them my all.

HC: You are a senior. So, what are you going to miss the most about Penn State?

DF: PENN STATE HAS SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES! …like, too many to function. There’s so much more I want to do at this amazing university, and it’s so devastating that I can’t tackle them all. I know there’s an ample amount of opportunities out in the world, but nothing compares to the atmosphere that is Penn State. The people, the pride and the heart really make this place feel more like home than anywhere else…don’t tell my mom.

HC: What are your plans for after graduation?

DF: For the summer, I will be returning to Upper Darby Summer Stage to choreograph their season’s finale Aladdin, Jr! I’m still searching for jobs in either the TV industry or entertainment field, so if anyone knows of an opening let me know ;)

HC: What is the best life advice you have ever heard/live by?

DF: The two things I prioritize most are positivity and not looking down. I choose not to believe in stress or doubt because those two together can really be a person’s downfall. There’s no time for the negativity – do what you want and what you love! If you’re doing what you love, there’s no room for doubt in your life. And if you’re unapologetically being yourself, you should walk around with your chin held high as if you’re Beyoncé and the world is your stage! 

I am a junior majoring in public relations and psychology with a minor in music technology. I love to watch Netflix until 6am when I have a paper due the next day and eat a half of a pizza for dinner. I've been a part of Her Campus PSU for three semesters, and I can't wait to share what I have to say with you!
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.