Change is a good thing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

I’ve always wondered, do people change or do they just become more themselves? To be honest, after my four months in Europe, I still have not been able to answer this question. I know things have changed in my life. I mean, like I said, I’ve been spending four months in a different country, doing things I have never done before. I’ve been doing things I never thought I would be able to do before.

On the surface, it is pretty clear that I have changed. My hair has gotten longer, I drink coffee now, and my food palate has most definitely expanded. I’ve traveled around Europe and been to countries I have wanted to go to my whole life. I have a better sense of direction and have made great friends. But what about on the inside? It’s true that I have gained a great deal of self-confidence, and I do feel much more independent.  I feel more comfortable around people, and I know I have grown as a person.

I have learned a lot while in Spain. I have learned about oceanography in the Mediterranean, I have learned about media around the world, and I have developed into a much better Spanish speaker. However, most importantly, I have learned a lot about myself. I have learned that I am more outgoing than I think. Coming here, I didn’t exactly know what would happen. Would I make friends? Would people like me? I had to break out of my shell, which wasn’t exactly easy for me to do. It was extremely uncomfortable for me to ask around at the airport if people were in my program and going to Barcelona. But I did it, and I don’t regret it one bit. I was nervous signing up for orientation activities when I didn’t know anyone else on the list, but that’s how I made friends. I have also learned that I am stronger than I believed. I think this is in the same territory as having confidence and feeling more independent. I had never flown by myself, I have never been to Europe, and I have never gone anywhere where I knew absolutely no one with no idea what to expect. I had my ups and downs, that’s for sure. I almost concussed myself the first day, my hard drive crashed on my computer, and my adjustment period took longer than expected, but I got through it, didn’t I? And that has made me stronger in the end. I made it through this semester in Spain while being blindsided by not-so-perfect circumstances.

So maybe that’s how it goes…people change on the outside, but after learning about themselves, they only become more of the person that they were meant to be. And experiences like study abroad? They become the perfect chances to learn who you are; away from your typical, everyday life. That’s what it’s all about right–life? To step out of your box and make experiences like no other?

Now, as I think about going home, I’m excited. As I said in my last post, I’m scared of the differences, but that’s what happens. I’m thankful to have realized my growth now rather than when it’s too late. I am thankful to have had this opportunity to become myself while traveling the world while I am still young.

“Things change, and friends leave, and life doesn’t stop for anybody.” –The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I'm a Junior public relations major at Penn State. Currently living in Barcelona and traveling through Europe!
Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.