The Best Places to Eat In State College: Edition 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a foodie, I judge my meals based on not only the richness of flavor, but also on presentation – aka, how Instagram worthy my plate is. In state college, it seems as though $1 slices and other greasy late-night eats rule the food world. Our little town does not seem to have that many restaurants, but in reality, there are many nice places to dine with your family, friends, or on a date with that special someone. Therefore, I decided to create a food guide for you collegiates, comparing a couple of my personal favorites.

Allen Street Grill

Located right near scenic Old Main, Allen Street Grill is in the heart of state college, right on College Avenue. If you are lucky enough to be seated within the windowed porch, you will have a spectacular view of our campus landmark (It is especially beautiful during Christmas time!) The food is described as traditional and contemporary American cuisine. I visited Penn State for the first time during my accepted student’s tour, and the Allen Street Grill was my first restaurant experience at Penn State. I can vividly remember sharing the nachos as an appetizer with my family and eating a Greek salad as my dinner. Reflecting on it two years later makes me wonder if the food subconsciously influenced my choice to enroll at Penn State. The Allen Street Grill has a large menu, great service, and a beautiful and comfortable environment. Eat here for any occasion and you will leave satisfied both in fullness and happiness.

Zola

A bit more upscale, Zola is located on West College Avenue. The feel of Zola is much more modern and intimate that Allen Street Grill. They feature an open kitchen, dim lighting, and fresh décor. I have only been lucky enough to dine at Zola once, but it was definitely a memorable experience. Menus vary for time of year, and for each meal of the day. They are always creating new innovative plates and even serve tastings. When I dined at Zola, I had their angel hair pesto dish, and my friends had steak and chicken dishes. Every plate looked like artwork and tasted equally as magnificent. I would recommend Zola to anyone visiting Penn State, or looking for a special night out. It is more expensive, but if the occasion is significant, it is definitely worth every bite.

Now don’t just sit there…go explore the wonderful tastes of State College, and let Her Campus know what you think…bon apetit! 

Morgan Raphael is currently a sophomore studying Public Relations at The Pennsylvania State University.  She is an active member of the Greek community, serving on her executive board.  More than anything, Morgan loves school spirit and is so happy to be a Nittany Lion.  She loves writing and sharing her ideas and work with the nation through Her Campus and is so blessed to have such an awesome opportunity.  
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.