Behind the Scenes of THON: Ariel Vincent, Dancer for Kappa Alpha Theta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Meet Ariel Vincent!

Ariel is a senior majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders from Weston, FL. Ariel will be dancing in Penn State THON 2018 for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. She will be on the floor of the Bryce Jordan Center for 46 hours straight without sitting or sleeping. During her time at Penn State, THON has become a huge part of her life through her positions on the Kappa Alpha Theta, Pi Kappa Alpha Greek Life THON team. It is easy to tell that THON is very close to her heart, and her excitement and positive eagerness to dance on the weekend of February 16-18 are undeniable.

I talked to Ariel to find out more about her passion for THON and how she’s been preparing to dance for 46 hours. She will unquestionably bring her bright energy to every dancer, participant and family at THON during her 46 hours on the floor.

Her Campus: What inspires you most about THON?

Ariel Vincent: Having the whole Penn State community come together, at the same time, for one unbelievable cause.

HC: Why is THON so special?

AV: THON is so special for many reasons. THON is special to me because everyone puts their hearts and souls into one cause, and does what they can throughout the year to help raise money for pediatric cancer. Also, having family members that have been affected by cancer in my life really makes me feel that much closer to the Penn State community having such an amazing event like this.

HC: When did you first decide you wanted to dance in THON?

AV: I knew I wanted to dance in THON since I came to Penn State. My sister danced, and my freshman year I was able to be on the floor with her for a decent amount of time, and experience this on the floor with her.

HC: What is your best memory from THON? 

AV: My best memory from THON was definitely being able to share the dancing experience with my sister when we both attended Penn State at the same time.

HC: What are you most excited about in relation to your 46 hours on the floor?

AV: I am definitely most excited about being able to represent my sorority on the floor for this many hours, and being able to see my THON family on the floor share the experience with us.

HC: What do you think will be the most motivational to help keep you on your feet when you dance? 

AV: The most motivational to help me during THON weekend will definitely be the people who I surround myself with, especially the lovely members of PI Kappa Alpha and Kappa Alpha Theta that I have been friends with since freshman year.

HC: Is there anything you are nervous about?

AV: I am mostly nervous about getting sick either right before or during THON weekend.

HC: How have you been preparing?

AV: I started paying more attention to what I eat and how much I exercised each week.

HC: Will your family be coming for THON weekend to see you dance?

AV: My mom, my sister, and my sister’s boyfriend will be in attendance THON weekend!

HC: What is your favorite part of the weekend?

AV: I love the final four hours of THON the most (especially with Go Go Gadget!)

HC: What makes you most excited in relation to being able to see the children on the floor during THON? Is there an activity you are excited to do with them?

AV: I love kids to begin with, so seeing them on the THON floor will be extremely touching and will really make me so happy as to why I am standing for all 46 hours.

HC: Who will you be thinking about during THON weekend while you dance? 

AV: I will be thinking about my dad and my grandma, who both passed away from cancer.

HC: What will inspire you when you get tired?

AV: When I get tired, I definitely will need some smiley faces around me, and I will be giving smiles right back!

HC: What will you tell yourself when you begin to get tired? 

AV: I will remind myself why I am there in the first place!

HC: How are you going to push yourself to finish strong and get through?

AV: By surrounding myself with positive energy and listening to music that motivates me to keep going!

HC: What is your number one reason for dancing? 

AV: My dad.

HC: What is the best or most inspiring encouragement you have received about the weekend? 

AV: Words from my fellow dancers in my organization: ‘We are in this together!’

HC: What will you eat when the weekend is over?

AV: CHICKEN TENDERS AND MAC AND CHEESE!

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.