mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 7 Summer Essentials You Didn’t Know You Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With summer in full swing and our minds filled with visions of the beach, it’s time to stock up on the necessary essentials for the season. Though you probably think you have all the must-haves covered, we’re here to share a few state-of-the-art products you may have missed.

What You Want: The sickest shades

What You Need: The best beach towel

When it comes to cool accessories, there’s only one lady who rocks one-of-a-kind design at affordable prices. The Vera Bradley beach towel comes in seven beautiful patterns and is the perfect way to capture the attention of the nearest lifeguard as you find your perfect beach spot. 

What You Want: The hottest swimsuit of the season

What You Need: The strappiest accessory to match

This multi-use accessory is bound to have you hooked this summer. Whether you lost the straps to your favorite bikini or need some fun jewelry to perfect an outfit, Brappz has you covered.

What You Want: The sweetest smelling lotion

What You Need: The silkiest legs to lather it on

As much as we appreciated being able to keep a little stubble this winter, the hairy legs just aren’t going to fly anymore. When you’re ready to get the silky smooth legs you see all down the beach and on the red carpet, head for Pure Silk. The luxurious shave cream smells amazing, protects your legs from nicks and cuts and is proven to leave legs smoother than soap and water!

What You Want: A getaway to one of the hottest destinations of the year

What You Need: A place to stay when you get there 

Want a new kind of adventure at an affordable price? Download this innovative new app that allows college students to travel on a budget by seeking a place to stay from fellow students! The app allows students to offer up their living space through a safe and reliable format that includes fast booking times, intuitive profile pages, and a swift and reliable payment method. 

What You Want: A white hot outfit

What You Need: Proven protection from Mother Nature mishaps

Don’t let Mother Nature stop you from stealing the show. We all know that time of the month likes to come at the worst possible times, but Monthly Gift makes it easy to manage by offering a subscription service that delivers a discreet, Little Black Box of customized tampons, pads and liners right to your door before your period arrives. As an added bonus, they offer an app that will monitor your ovulation and menstrual cycle patterns. Could they be any more helpful?

What You Want: A morning yoga sequence on the beach

What You Need: A coffee companion to keep you alert and focused

Summer 2016 means it’s time to #DitchDisposable and upgrade to a new kind of travel mug. The Camelbak Forge® Divide Travel Mug is the perfect way to carry your coffee or tea down to the beach on early morning strolls. The leak-proof cap makes it easy to toss in any beach bag, and the easy-to-clean drinking valve means you can get out every grain of sand at the end of the day. 

What You Want: A beach chair that will let you soak up the sun

What You Need: A beach read that will prepare you for when the school year returns

Okay, okay, so we know school is the last thing on your mind at this point, but let’s face it, summer tends to go pretty fast. Whether you’re headed off to your first year of college this year or trying to make the most of your last, The Her Campus Guide to College Life has everything you need to know. Use your lazy summer days to brush up on how to handle crazy relationships, how to deal with stress and how to score the job of your dreams when it’s all said and done. Believe us, you won’t regret it. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.