7 Reasons Why You Should Care That It’s Sexual Violence Awareness Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

During the week of March 28-April 1, UPUA will host Sexual Violence Awareness Week, an extension of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, in an effort to promote sexual violence awareness at Penn State. Here’s why you should care. 

1. You’re a young woman.

Whether we like it or not, the prevalence of sexual violence in our modern era has become a part of our identity as young women. It’s a fear we all face and one that far too many of us experience head-on. Though you may not feel personally connected to the cause, your existence as a young woman is enough to legitimize the need for your attention.

2. You go to a school that’s been significantly affected by it.

For any of you who receive PSU text alerts, you know that sexual violence is very much alive on this campus. According to Penn State’s Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report, there were 56 forcible sex offenses reported on campus in 2012 alone. The sheer magnitude of that number is enough to shock anyone but knowing that they happened in your own backyard makes it that much more alarming.

3. You have a high chance of being personally affected by it.

According to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, one in five women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college. The numbers don’t seem real until you realize that more than 90 percent of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault. Just because you don’t hear about it or see it happening doesn’t mean you aren’t at risk.

4. Education is a powerful form of prevention.

Sexual violence isn’t something they tend to touch on in school much so it’s your job to educate yourself on why this is an issue and what you can do to prevent it. Knowing the facts and sharing them with others is a powerful way to get people talking; or better yet, doing something about it.

5. The victims deserve your support.

Some of us are victims, some of us know victims and some of us are lucky enough to have never been personally affected by it; what’s important is that you show your support to those who have. Acknowledging their strength and doing your best to improve the current state for the next generation is not just an opportunity but an obligation for young women everywhere.

6. You have the power to make a difference.

Donate money, host an event, promote awareness – the possibilities are endless and every little bit counts.

7. Penn State cares and so should you.

This week, UPUA will host Sexual Violence Awareness Week, an extension of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, in an effort to promote sexual violence awareness at Penn State. There will be many events taking place on campus throughout the week that will focus on educating the public and showing support for the victims. Below is a brief calendar of events. Please visit upua.org for more information.

So go, participate, donate and do your part. 

Photo credit: 1

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.