5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Going Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Going abroad while in college is an experience that only happens once in a lifetime. From Paris to Australia, no matter where your home is, your experiences are one of a kind and need to be treasured.

Being young is something we often take for granted as college students. For many of us, we can occasionally skip class, go out on a Tuesday, and write a paper the day before it’s due. And if we fail, well hey – it’s not the end of the world. Having this sense of freedom while living on the other side of the world, however, is definitely not something to take for granted.

Here’s a list of reminders that will help you maximize your experience and ensure you come back with no regrets.

1. Save up… then spend.

Whether you’re walking the streets of Milan or London, there’s no good time to be counting your bills or holding yourself back. With the limitless food, designer clothing, and all of the adventures to be purchased abroad, the last thing you want to do is stress about whether you can afford it. If possible, get a job before you travel so you can save up for your trip. Then when you finally arrive – don’t hold back! Try everything and buy the things you love.

2. Eat to your heart’s content.

Obviously health is important no matter where you go – but so is pasta. Don’t stress every single calorie while you’re traveling; it’s not worth it. Be as adventurous as possible, try any food that looks yummy, and workout later. Remember, you might never have a chance to eat another macaron in Paris or pizza in Italy again.

3. Go everywhere.

Don’t be nervous; be spontaneous. Travel everywhere. Spend every weekend packing your bags and going to places you’ve never been before. Grab a friend or a few, and then pick a spot on a map and go! Don’t worry about cold weather or who you’ll see. Be safe and smart, plan a little, and let the rest be an opportunity for adventure.

4. Don’t second-guess yourself.

It’s easy to get nervous while planning a trip or coordinating logistics, but don’t stress. As long as you have your wits about you or a friend by your side, you can do anything. Don’t hesitate or hold yourself back because you’ll regret anything you don’t try. Any mistake you make will only help you to learn and grow.

5. Get out of bed.

Never spend a day in bed. It’s tempting to turn on Netflix once you settle into your new home, but don’t let yourself waste a day or even an hour being lazy. There is so much to do and discover in every city in the world. You don’t need to spend money or buy a pricey meal. Just take a walk, sit in a park, go to a museum, and soak up every second.

Your semester abroad will be over before you know it, so don’t waste it. Embrace where you are and the many opportunities available to you. Don’t take a trip for social media – take one for yourself, to broaden your perspective and grow. When you look back on your time spent abroad, you’ll never regret what you did… only the things you didn’t.

Photo: Olivia Abboud

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.