5 Reasons You Should Attend Penn State Pink Zone This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

The Pennsylvania Pink Zone will be hosting their 8th annual Pink Zone at Penn State event this weekend in partnership with the Lady Lions basketball team as they take on Wisconsin. We all know Sundays are made for lying in bed, stuffing our faces and catching up on Netflix, but here are five important reasons why this event is one that you don’t want to miss.

1. It’s pink, duh – As much as we don’t like to admit it, there’s just something about the rosy hue that can brighten a girl’s day. You can bet the BJC is going to be covered in it this weekend – complete with a “Paint the Campus Pink” event on Friday, free pink swag at the door and a Pink Carpet event during the game. So get your gear ready, ladies, because on Sundays, we wear pink.

2. Tickets are FREE – We are halfway through the spring semester, spring break is just around the corner, and your wallet is starting to collect dust. Bummer. Lucky for you and your equally broke friends, this event is 100% free to all students. That’s right – loads of entertainment, time with friends and a great cause are all coming to you completely free of charge. Sounds like a deal to us!

3. Kathy Sledge is performing – Okay, okay. So you may not know who she is, but watch this video and you will. She’s the youngest sister of the famous music group Sister Sledge and was the lead singer for some of their biggest hits. How could you not be excited about seeing someone responsible for the creation of “We Are Family”? Seriously, that’s pretty cool. 

4. You will get to meet some of the strongest women that exist– More important than a former pop star making an appearance is the fact that there will be over 500 real-life women warriors storming the BJC this weekend. I’m talking about the women who have stared breast cancer right in the eyes, went through countless chemo treatments, lost their hair and battled the odds to become heroic survivors today. These women are meant to be celebrated and all deserve our loving support and admiration for the challenges they have conquered.

5. It’s time to put a stop to breast cancer – According to the National Cancer Institute, a woman born today has about a 1 in 8 chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer at some time during her life. Breast cancer does not discriminate against age or ethnicity and can affect any woman when she least expects it. The most powerful woman in the world can be brought down by the words, “you have cancer.” So it’s time we take a stand against it. Whether your family has dealt with the disease, you know someone who has or you’ve never been affected, supporting breast cancer awareness and research is more than just a good deed – it’s our job as women.

So come out to the Pink Zone game Sunday, March 1st at the Bryce Jordan Center. Tip-off will be at 2 p.m. and tickets will be available at the door. For more information on the Pink Zone game please join their Facebook event or follow @papinkzone on Twitter and Instagram. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.