5 Reasons Why You Should Start Doing Yoga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As winter starts to wind down, (hopefully) and the semester is in full swing, you may find yourself getting bored with your everyday routine. It’s time to mix up your week with yoga. Here are five reasons why:

1.      It relieves stress

The stress of school, friends and every day life can be a lot and sometimes you just need a little break. Meditation is involved in most yoga classes and gives you the opportunity to do absolutely nothing for a few minutes. It is exhilarating to allow yourself to completely forget about your six group projects and three tests you should be studying for. You’ll be surprised at just how good you feel after a quick break.

2.      It’s a lifelong hobby

Yoga benefits the mind and body and can be done pretty much anywhere. It also has many different types and levels so you won’t get bored.

3.      It offers words of wisdom

Yoga is good for the mind and soul. This might sound cheesy, but I have learned some great life lessons in yoga class. Most of them are just little things that are so obvious that we tend to forget about them in our busy lives. For example, if you are anything like me, you’re constantly worrying about the next thing you have to do. Yoga emphasizes just being in the moment and it helps me to appreciate the little things that happen to me when I am not at yoga.

4.      To change up your gym routine

Don’t let the relaxation factor fool you. Yoga involves a lot weight bearing activities that are great for toning your muscles. I’ve been to classes where I didn’t think I did anything strenuous and the next day, I woke up super sore. That’s my kind of workout!

5.      The opportunity is only a few blocks away

There are at least three different yoga studios downtown. Whether you are a beginner or took a few classes three summers ago, there is bound to be a class right here in State College for you. One great place to try is Lila Yoga Studios, located right on Beaver Ave. downtown!

So go put those yoga pants to use ladies! Namaste. 

Born and raised by two Nittany Lions, Rachel continued the tradition by attending Penn State University in the fall of 2009. Currently a senior journalism major, Rachel also spends her time minoring in both psychology and Spanish. During her sophomore year she wrote for the Greek newspaper at Penn State as a member of Alpha Xi Delta, followed by joining the Her Campus team as a writer and the Public Relations/Social Media Manager in the fall of her junior year. In search of mastering the Spanish language, Rachel indulged herself in the country of Spain for five months while she studied abroad in the city of Alicante during the spring of 2012. In order to keep her English up to par, Rachel blogged about her experiences for both her personal account and Her Campus at Penn State. With a love for shoes, smiles, and a good bowl of mac and cheese, this social media fiend never leaves her twitter by its lonesome. Follow Rachel @hayhayitsrayray as she pursues her dream as an aspiring magazine editor and world traveler.