5 Reasons We Love Tessa and Will from The Infernal Devices

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Though some may ship Tessa and Jem in Cassandra Clare’s steampunk spin-off series, here are the top ten reasons why Will and Tessa are truly the best pairing;

1. They bond over books.

Throughout the series (particularly in the first book), Tessa and Will drive each other insane by spewing quotes at each other and correcting each other’s literary references. At various points, Tessa won’t leave her books behind when she’s given the chance to escape a hostage situation, and Will’s bedroom is so cluttered with books they don’t all fit on the bookshelves. And really, what’s more romantic than a good book recommendation?

2. They balance each other.

While Will is overly sarcastic and passionate, Tessa is rational and clear-headed. Together, they come up with some truly great schemes and manage to save their loved ones and friends from danger.

3. They help each other (whenever they’re not furiously arguing).

Whether it’s helping Will’s best friend, Jem, with a medical issue or rescuing Tessa’s brother, Nate, from a coven of vampires, Will and Tessa make a great team. Each is willing to brave danger and the dark of night in order to rescue the other, whether it’s from a shady East End locale or an entirely different country.

4.  They make each other better.

Tessa breaks through Will’s emotional defenses and wakes him up enough to see that he deserves to be loved (despite his tragic backstory). Will gives Tessa her first kiss and helps her navigate her first (complicated) romantic relationship.

5.  They don’t let each other get away with anything.

When Will is deliberately aggravating, Tessa calls him on it. When she makes mistakes, he’s there to help her fix them, even if it means getting bitten by a vampire and having to chug holy water.

Say what you want, but there’s no denying Will and Tessa are adorable and meant for each other, like peanut butter and chocolate or books and bookmarks. 

Gabrielle Barone is a freshman at Penn State, majoring in Print and Digital Journalism. In addition to HerCampus Penn State, she also writes for Penn State's newspaper, The Daily Collegian, and blogs for the scholarship website Collegexpress. She loves anything with chocolate and peanut butter in it, and reads way too much historical fiction.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.