5 Reasons Fall Semester Is Better Than Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Many can make the argument that college, in general, is much better than high school; all of these people would be correct in saying this. However, when given the choice between the fall semester and the spring semester, the general public is divided. Every semester has its ups and downs, but in my opinion, fall semester proves to be the superior choice. Before you disagree, let me lay down my reasoning:

1. Football Season

This one’s a no brainer for those of us here at Penn State – football is one of the biggest perks of being a student here. There’s truly no better experience than watching our favorite Nittany Lions beat another self-proclaimed rival with 107,000 of your closest friends. And who could forget about the other well known perk of Saturdays spent in the stadium – chicken baskets! Whether it’s humid and rainy, 70 degrees and sunny, or 30 and snowy, truly nothing warms the heart like an authentic Beaver Stadium chicken basket. Sorry spring semester, I’ll take three months of home games over spring weather any day.

2. Halloween

No matter how you celebrate it, there’s no denying that Halloween is one of the best holidays. Whether it’s spent with your squad getting your most daring costumes ready or binge watching horror movies with some candy in bed, spooky season is yet another perk that spring semester can’t compare to. Sure, spring semester gives us spring break, but that’s only one holiday. And while I’m on the topic of holidays…

3. Holiday Season

Thanksgiving and the winter holiday season truly can’t be beat. There’s nothing like going home in November to see hometown friends and over-eat turkey and mashed potatoes while watching parades and yelling at your favorite NFL teams. Even better is the feeling of going home for the winter holidays. No matter what you choose to celebrate, the general vibe of holiday cheer just can’t be beat. Plus, winter is more insufferable once you’ve moved past the holidays and instead have months of trekking in the snow to look forward to with no reprieve.

4. Weather

I think everyone can agree that, if given the choice, walking to class in warmer weather is preferable to walking to class in the freezing cold. While I will acknowledge that there’s icy weather in both semesters, only fall semester has the benefit of a smooth transition from summer to fall. Watching the leaves change and feeling a cool autumn breeze is one of the best feelings; spring is lovely, and call me strange all you want, but fall has the best weather and no other season compares.

5. Back to School Blues

Hear me out on this one: coming back to school after summer break is so much better than coming back to school after winter break. After summer break, you’ve had time to relax and get a tan; if you’re a freshman coming to college is a fun and exciting fresh new start, and if you’re older it’s all the more exciting because you’re returning to friends you’ve missed for a while. In the fall, you’re coming back to warm weather, a better Sylly Week, and a more refreshed mindset ready to take on the year. After winter break, you’re still coming back to the cold and haven’t had proper time to de-stress from the previous semester. All your motivation is depleted, and the general vibe is one of “Trying to survive until summer.”

Overall, both semesters have their merits. Fall brings football and holidays of fun; and spring brings a new year and new opportunities. However, I’ve found that if I had to choose one as my favorite every year, then fall semester would win every time.

GIFs via Giphy

I am a Public Relations major at the Pennsylvania State University. When I'm not writing for Her Campus, I enjoy watching the Office and volunteering at my local animal shelters.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.