5 Music Festivals You Need To Go To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

5 Music Festivals You Need to Go to

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and it’s finally above 50 degrees. It’s every music lover’s favorite time of the year, Festival Season. Having just hosted our very own EDM concert with Hardwell’s arrival this past weekend at PSU, we were inspired to list some must-see performances. With the insane amount of festivals that take place all over during the Spring and Summer, here are some of the most important, road-trip worthy ones that are coming up on the calendar:

1. Coachella

When? April 11-13 – Indio, CA

The king of all music festivals to attend in 2014. The lineup is kick-ass with artists including OutKast, Muse, Arcade Fire, Zedd, Lorde, Queens of the Stone Age, Calvin Harris, Lana Del Ray, and so many more. Coachella takes place in the middle of the desert with more celebrities attending than probably any other festival. Plus, you can totally rock the indie flower headbands, and who wouldn’t want to do that.

2. Bonnaroo

When? June 12-15 – Manchester, TN

Known as the most “hardcore” festival to attend, Bonnaroo gives attendees 4 awesome days of the most fun camping in the hot summer heat of Tennessee. You’ll be hanging out, listening to headliners including Elton John, Kanye West, and Jack White. Others playing are Vampire Weekend, The Avett Brothers, Frank Ocean, and much much more.

3. Lollapalooza

When? August 1-3 – Chicago, IL

Lolla is located in the heart of Chicago, which allows festival-goers to check out the city by day, and be pumped up to listen to the biggest artists out there by night. The highlights of the 2014 lineup include Kings of Leon, Eminem, OutKast, Artic Monkeys, Childish Gambino, Skrillex, and Calvin Harris. It’s a great way to start the last month of the summer off right.

4. Firefly

When? June 19-22 – Dover, DE

For a festival that only began in 2012, Firefly has quickly climbed the rankings and has a killer 2014 lineup to back it up. With big names like OutKast, Foo Fighters, Jack Johnson, Imagine Dragons, The Lumineers, and Young The Giant, this festival seems to be sticking around for a while.

5. Electric Daisy Carnival

When? May 24-25 – NYC and June 20-22 – Las Vegas

EDM has been on an insane rise lately and no one does it better than Electric Daisy. There’s a 2-Day NYC Event leading up to the massive 4-Day party in Las Vegas, with acts that go from sunset to sunrise. The lineup has every EDM artist out there and this promo video will make you want to purchase your tickets ASAP.

For more information on all festivals happening this year, check out The Master Festival Spreadsheet.

Chellsy Costello is currently a senior at Penn State University majoring in Public Relations/Advertising and minoring in Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management. In her free time, she loves finding new artists to listen to, watching football, trying new recipes in the kitchen, and finding time to hit the gym. Her current and past experiences include Wenner Media, Press Here Publicity, The Nittany Lion Club, Varsity 'S' Club, Valley Magazine, and Happy Valley Communications. She hopes to land her dream job in New York City or another major city after graduation and someday hopes to travel as much as she can.
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.