This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Being a new member in a sorority, especially at Penn State, can be very overwhelming. The process of getting a Big in your sorority provokes a lot of anxiety, but it is more than worth it in the end. She becomes your person and family away from home – she truly is your best friend.

Your Big deserves lots of love, and here is why:

1. She supplied you with endless decorations for your dorm.
  2. She gives you endless advice.
  3. She listens to your complaints about the same stupid guy for months.
  4. She lets you stay in her apartment when you’re having a rough night.
  5. She is your gym buddy.
  6. She always answers her phone.
  7. Her closet is your closet.
  8. Her food is your food.
  9. She always brings you goodies from her weekend home.
  10. She helps you with the classes she has already taken.
  11. She gives you a lot of clothes.
  12. She gets food with you in the freshman dining commons.
  13. She will stay in and watch movies with you.
  14. She is your biggest cheerleader.
  15. She welcomed you into her family with open arms.
  16. She is always good for a “like” on social media.
  17. She shares her music with you.
  18. She is honest with you.
  19. She is Biggie.
  20. She loves her Smalls.

There are so many more reasons to appreciate and love your Big because she does so much for you. She makes your sorority feel smaller and provides new members with a sense of belonging. I love my Biggie for the person she is, and I hope everyone has that feeling too.

Stephanie Friedman is currently a freshman at Penn State University and is a journalist for Her Campus Penn State. She is studying the College of Communications and hopes to be a Public Relations major. Her interest in creative writing and love for writing itself is the reason she became a writer for the Penn State chapter of Her Campus. Since she is a freshman her resume is quite small, but has indulged herself in other work such as being a lifeguard in the Summer at Banner Day Camp and a Hostess at Wildfire Restaurant back home in Chicago. In her free time Stephanie enjoys hanging with her friends, watching Netflix, and going to the gym. She is also an avid foodie and is up for a good meal at any of hour of the day. In her future she hopes to gain many new experiences at college to start to build a successful career.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.