15 Reasons Why Being a Freshman Actually Rocks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As a first-year student, you may feel like you’re at the bottom of the totem pole. You might think that being a freshman isn’t the greatest thing on earth, and you probably long to be a sophomore, junior or senior. Despite popular belief, it’s not all bad being a “freshie.”  Here’s just a few of the many reasons why being a freshmen is actually a good thing:

1. All your friends are conveniently in one spot, aka East Halls.

2. You’re within walking distance of the BJC and Beaver Stadium.

3. The Berkey Creamery is less than a block away.

4. You can join every organization your heart desires.

5. You can make friends with other freshmen on a daily basis.

6. You generally get into frats and apartment parties for free.

7. You can go out as many times as you want because you’re only a freshman once (..YOFO?).

8. All your classes are mostly “gen eds” so you have tons of free time.

9. You get a chance to start over with your reputation. No one knows you here, so you can be whoever you want to be.

10. You are offered free pizza all the time when you join new clubs.

11. Everything seems better because you’re experiencing it for the first time.

12. Bored? No worries. Your floor or RA will have something fun planned for the night.

13. You have four years to decide your major and career.

14. The “Big O” is right in Findlay! #Winning

15. It’s acceptable to gain the freshmen fifteen.

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.