yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

10 Reasons Why Fall is the Best Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Every season brings something to the table, but fall just has a little something extra. While we spend months eagerly counting down the days until summer, we tend to overlook the one season that truly has the most to offer.  Summer is officially over, but there’s no need to fret because fall has officially arrived.  Here’s why you should be happy about it:

1. The return of all your favorite TV shows.

How long have you been waiting for the return of Scandal? What about The Mindy Project? Or Dancing with the Stars (we won’t judge you)?  The answer is too long. With fall comes the return of everyone’s beloved time-waster: television. So log out of your Netflix account and turn off that How I Met Your Mother rerun you’ve seen a thousand times- your favorites are back!

2. You can walk to class without suffering from a heatstroke.

Trudging to class in freezing temperatures that make your fingers go numb is undoubtedly painful, but trudging to class in scorching hot temperatures with only an air conditioner-free lecture hall in sight is not much better. When the temperature finally drops and the weather report no longer includes days of 100 percent humidity, the walk to class is infinitely more enjoyable.

3. You can finally break out your favorite pair of boots.

Whether they’re a broken-in old pair or new pair that you bought in anticipation of the first cool day, your boots are an undeniable favorite in your shoe collection. They provide all the comfort of sneakers without prompting people to ask if you’re headed to the gym after class and they are definitely more fashionable.  Let’s not forget that they also allow you to go weeks without painting your toes. What more could a girl ask for?

4. Sweatshirts and leggings are now an acceptable everyday uniform.

Sure, you won’t exactly stand out in the crowd with this outfit, but who cares? You’re comfortable, cute, and not spending 50 minutes of class time wishing your jeans weren’t so tight.  

5. Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

What would a list about fall be without this clichéd favorite? You’ve waited an entire year for this seasonal drink, so take advantage of it while you can.  Don’t feel like waiting at Starbucks?  There’s a K-Cup for that!  You’re welcome.

6. All the pretty leaves changing colors.

Summer boasts beach views, spring has its flowers, and winter has the sight of fresh snow dusting the ground; but, when it comes to beautiful scenery, fall trumps it all. Few things match the beauty of leaves turning varying shades of yellow, red and orange before floating gently to the ground.

7. Halloween.

Getting together a group Halloween costume is one of life’s greatest stress-inducers, but the excitement of Halloween is indisputable. The carved pumpkins, endless pounds of candy, and Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown being shown daily on ABC Family are enough to bring a smile to anyone’s face.   

8. Being able to toss on a pretty scarf and call whatever you’re wearing an outfit.

Jeans and a t-shirt may trick people into thinking you tried, but throw a scarf into the mix? People instantly think you took more than four minutes to get ready this morning. You go, girl!

9. Hayrides.

Ah yes, hayrides. They were fun as a child, but college takes this family pastime to a whole new level. It’s just you and your friends, sitting on top of smelly hay, eating questionable food and creating memories that you will remain in your heart forever, even if you may forget them by morning.          

10. Knowing Thanksgiving and all of its delicious goodness are right around the corner.

When the stress of midterm exams and 10-page papers has passed, we are #blessed with the vacation that is Thanksgiving Break. It’s an entire week off to relax, see friends from home and, most importantly, celebrate a holiday almost entirely centered around eating. 

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.