10 Artists You Must Check Out This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Spring has finally sprung in Happy Valley! Well, at least the temperature is above freezing (that’s enough for me).

I don’t know about you, collegiettes, but when that winter slump is finally over, there is one thing I always gravitate towards. Music.

There are so many artists that just sound like springtime and, fortunately, most of them are releasing new music!

Here are ten artists to check out as the weather warms up:

1. All Time Low

The pop punk band from that one time you were really into scene music is back at it again with their new album, Future Hearts. The first single, “Something’s Gotta Give,” already has over 2.5 million views on YouTube and the rest of the album is sure to be a hit. Check it out on April 7th!

(Photo: Alternative Press)

2. Marina and the Diamonds

If you haven’t heard Marina yet, this is your chance. FROOT, her new album, was released early thanks to an internet leak. It’s just as awesome as her other albums, if not better, and is full of soon-to-be spring hits.

3. Mumford and Sons

When Mumford and Sons announced their hiatus in 2013, I think even haters of the band (if they actually have any) cried. Was it going to be short? Was it going to be forever? Thankfully, in January of this year, the band announced that they were writing new music. Their new album, set to be released in early May, is called Wilder Mind. Their first single from the record, titled “Believe”, is slowly climbing the Billboard charts, with the rest of the album sure to follow.

4. Kendrick

It’s no surprise that Kendrick’s new album took over the number one spot on iTunes the day it was released. To Pimp a Butterfly was released unexpectedly on March 16th and what a great surprise it was. It’s set to be Kendrick’s first number one on the Billboard 200 albums chart. So if you haven’t listened to it yet, you totally should.

(Photo: All Hip Hop)

5. Andrew McMahon and the Wilderness

Do you remember Something Corporate? Okay, well, what about Jack’s Mannequin? They had that song “Dark Blue”? Andrew McMahon, the lead singer of both of those bands, has started yet another project… and it’s incredible. His new self-titled album is full of heartfelt songs that just sound like happiness. Listen to “Cecilia and the Satellite,” and you won’t be disappointed.

(Photo: Andrew McMahon)

6. Catfish and the Bottlemen

This British band is a soon-to-be the Arctic Monkeys with the way they are headed. Even though they have been well known in the U.K. for a couple years, Catfish and the Bottlemen have recently released an album in the U.S. and they are swiftly gaining popularity. Although their music is not particularly light-hearted, their songs are guaranteed to be your spring power anthems.

7. Florence and the Machine

There are many reasons why this band made this list. Number one, they actually embody spring. I mean, have you heard them? Number two, they have a new album coming out in June. While the release date is ways away, there are sure to be plenty of singles appearing throughout the springtime. Don’t forget to put them on your Spotify when they come out!

(Photo: Fish in the Air)

8. Kacey Musgraves

A lot of people hate country music, but this Grammy-winning artist is one that even the haters can’t hate. The country singer just released a new single, titled “Biscuits.” Give it a listen, and I promise you that your dislike for country music will be no more.

(Photo: GLAAD)

9. Passion Pit

This band is performing in Movin’ On, so, why not throw them on your spring playlist? Their upcoming album, called Kindred, is set to be released on April 21st. Two singles: “Lifted Up (1985)” and “Where the Sky Hangs,” have already been released. This synthpop album is sure to be a great addition to the charts later this spring. Be sure to listen to it before Movin’ On!

(Photo: Max Roper)

10. Walk the Moon

Pretty much every song this band has EVER released sounds like springtime and happiness. Even their sad songs sound happy, but that’s not the only reason to listen to them outside on a sunny day. This band is so musically gifted and creative that your eardrums will love you for putting this on your “walking to class” playlist (BUSTED, jk). If you haven’t heard “Shut Up And Dance” yet, PLEASE just listen to it. I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

Now, let’s just pray that summer days will be here soon… Happy spring everyone!

I am a junior majoring in public relations and psychology with a minor in music technology. I love to watch Netflix until 6am when I have a paper due the next day and eat a half of a pizza for dinner. I've been a part of Her Campus PSU for three semesters, and I can't wait to share what I have to say with you!
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.