Let’s Talk: Body Positivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Looking into the mirror, what do you see? Do you see everything you stand for, your hopes, your dreams? Do you see twenty some years of beautiful life wrapped up in one inherently unique package? Or do you see dark circles in need of layers of makeup and a body that in your mind is taking up too much space and needs to shrink. This image makes you want to shrink until you feel satisfied, but what decides this satisfaction? Is it the media, your peers, your family – or it is your own mind trying to curb this creeping anxiety that you, as a whole, are not good enough? With so many negative outlets out there, it is hard to remain positive in such a critical world, especially with how prominent body image is in society today. There are little things you can do throughout each day to combat these pessimistic persecutions and not only help your own self-esteem, but other’s as well.

Remind yourself how important it is to take care of your body and in turn, your mentality. Trying to create a healthy and positive lifestyle can not only help your physical being, but also your state of mind. Focusing on putting good in your body goes hand in hand with a change of lifestyle. Despite the cliché, your body is a temple where you reside, so worship it like it is the most important thing in the world.

Surround yourself with things and people that make a positive impact on your life. If you need to fill your room with inspirational quotes or healing crystals – well, do just that. Also, make sure to keep positive people around you as well. Those who you keep close can have as much as an impact on your person and you do yourself. The company we keep can make or break us and it is important to surround yourself by people who build you up instead of tear you down.

For every negative thought you have, try to supplement it by two positive ones. If you are having extra negative thoughts about your body one day, remind yourself of your talents, your positive attributes, and what makes you, you. Also, striving for “perfection” is something that can destroy a person. No human being is perfect and keep in mind the grass always looks greener on the other side. Accepting and loving yourself for who you are is the best feat you can accomplish in this life.

Moreover, there is no standard model for what a person should look like. We all come in different shapes, sizes, colors, and builds. The world is a box of over a billion crayons, each with their own unique, brilliant shade. Color your pages with the vibrant shade that you are and celebrate yourself with all of your might.

If you are having negative or hurtful thoughts geared toward yourself, keep in mind there are bound to be countless others going through this as well. Going off of that, the next time you see that girl who dresses cute every day, compliment her on her outfits. Remember that boy who always has a smile when he makes your morning coffee? Tell him how much you appreciate his positivity. You know that professor you have every Monday, Wednesday, Friday who always puts Harambe memes and cracks jokes to keep the class’s attention? Let him know that it really works and it makes you laugh. Everyone could use a compliment every now and again, so don’t hold back when you think about giving one. Spread and accept positivity because the world already has too much negativity in it for any more.

You are a beautiful being that not only cares, but is cared about so very much. It is time to have the same sentiment about yourself.

Photo Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.