This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Tarot cards have dated all the way back till the mid 14th century in Italy. It has become one of the most popular means of deviation and has gained more notice in pop culture with the use of social media recently. Tarot cards were originally intended as a game to play rather than a divination tool and were not often used as a divination tool till around the 18th century. Nowadays, tarot cards are used as divination methods between seeker and reader. Tarot cards can be classified to some as, “predicting the future”, but it is really just seeing what is probable to happen. The art of tarot is usually associated with psychic readers, but in reality, it can be picked up and learned by anyone that has the passion too. Tarot decks are normally made up of 78 cards each with its own meaning and interpretations. Learning to read tarot takes a lot of time and practice but there are so many books and online resources to help you along. There are a lot of skeptics out there, and ones who are freaked out by tarot cards, but there is nothing to be scared about and nothing you shouldn’t have fun doing.

To get started tarot card reading is very different for everyone and is something that is between yourself and the cards, so you first have to find a deck that personally resonates with you. One that you feel connected with, as weird as that may seem, and do some research into which deck you may like the best since there are a lot out there.

Each card has their own basic meaning/ reading, including one when the card is pulled out upright and reversed. However, like I said earlier deeper meanings are more up to the reader’s interpretation and elaboration. Tarot cards are read to interpret what might happen in the future or what has happened in the past to create a story, however, they are not meant to be asked a specific question with the intent of a specific answer. The cards are to be read as guides to what can happen in the future not what is or isn’t set in stone. Many readers believe that the cards are just one possibility with many ways for the future to be changed.

With 78 cards its a lot to all take in at one time, take some time and really get to know each card. Find out what it means and then think about what it means to you and how you interpret it. Start to form connections with each card and repeat until you have whole-heartedly understood your deck.

\

When actually reading the cards there are multiple ways to do so and those are called spreads. Some of the most common spreads are a daily reading which is just one card that is to tell of the possibilities of the day, and a three card spread which uses the first for the past, the second for the present, and the third for the future. Each position in each spread has its own special meaning. It’s important to have an environment that you are comfortable in and feel spiritually connected when you are ready to read the cards and never forget to shuffle your cards before a reading.

The cards also have different categories that go with them, each tarot card deck has Major and Minor Arcana. The Major Arcana represent significant life events and the Minor Arcana consists of 4 suits-  Cups, Pentacles, Swords, and Wands. Pentacles represent the physical world and material things. Wands represent more spiritual things. Cups represent emotions and relationships. Lastly, Swords represent more to do with the conflict.  

Remember when you begin with tarot reading to take your time and just let it come to you.

Personally, I have found my card deck as the Wild Unknown Tarot deck. I feel in love with this deck because of its bright sketches on the cards. Tarot card reading is something that I stumbled upon a while ago and have seemed to really connect to. It takes a while to master the art but once you do its worth it. I have loved being able to read all of my friend’s cards!

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4

Tiffany Zinn

PS Behrend

Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.