How to Thrift Shop Pt 2: Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Thrifting is great in person, but sometimes they just don’t have what you’re looking for. The growth of vintage/retro styles has lead to an influx of sellers online who curate closets based on popular thrift styles they find in stores. Apps like Depop, Poshmark, and Etsy are perfect for thrifting and finding exact styles that you want. Since the users of these apps are from all over the country (or sometimes different parts of the world) there is a much larger selection to choose from. Since the selection is so high and the items are ones that are considered to be more popular styles, the prices are often marked way higher than those found in a store like Salvation Army or Goodwill. If you are looking for a certain style or product it is much easier to shop online, as long as you’re willing to spend the extra cash.

Many of these sites are set up to be formatted just like a social media website. With the ability to direct message other sellers it is easy to barter, most people mark the item up in order to gain profit but are usually pretty lenient when it comes to the actual price. Most sellers are willing to go back and forth to find a price that works for both yourself and them.

Another major advantage of thrifting online is the fact that you can trade items with willing buyers. Trades happen when you both like things of similar value in each others virtual closets. When selling your own items people will often suggest a trade rather than an outright purchase, this allows you both to get something from each other and only pay the shipping price.

Selling items on these sites allows you to make money off of personal thrift finds that you think could sell well online, or items you were interested in that aren’t your size. If you are willing to invest the money to turn the products around for profit online you can turn it into a miniature business to help yourself make some money on your own schedule.

Thrift shopping in its own way is a great way to save money. If you think you have an eye for style and can pick things that would sell well online it is also a great way to make money. By taking cheaper items and turning them around for a profit you can greatly benefit from using online apps like Depop, Poshmark, and Etsy to sell these items and make extra money while on your own schedule. Whether buying or selling, these places are great fashion outlets.  Image Credits: 1 2 3

Communications Major with a Womens Studies Minor and certificates in Public Relations and Advertising  Lover of music, dogs, fashion, and iced coffee
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.