How To Get Over The Thanksgiving Guilt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Because amidst all the gratitude, we can’t forget about the first second most important thing: food.

Thinking back on these past few days and all the Thanksgiving celebrations may bring us many fond memories, like spending time with our family and friends. However, there’s a small chance that not all of your memories are great. You know, between your rude aunt asking you if you’re still single and that one family member who makes it a point to chew with their mouth open -and let’s not forget about all the recent political drama-, you probably have more than your fair share of not-so-great memories. But let’s bring it back to Thanksgiving dinner and let’s stir the conversation towards the food. Ah yes, let’s reminisce on the turkey, the gravy, the stuffing, and the pie…all the pie that brought you back to life and made your heart -and stomach- full of happiness. But as the food coma starts to wear off, you start thinking about where all that yummy food went. And whether you’re an avid athlete, a Netflix watcher or something in between, you probably feel a little guilty about all the food you had over break. Here are some handy tips to get you back on track and getting over the post-thanksgiving guilt easily:

Workout

I know, this one may seem obvious and also totally unappealing, but you don’t have to go to a gym or run 5 miles to workout! Especially in this day and age where it’s as simple as downloading an app and getting a short ab workout done. My favorite app is Sworkit, because it comes with demonstration videos for the folks who need them like me.

Eat Healthy

In the days following Thanksgiving, leftovers are all too tempting. Consider using a few dishes or sides as a meal instead of recreating Thanksgiving dinner all over again. For example, some turkey and a salad for lunch or stuffing and a salad for dinner! You’ll see that these meals are just as satisfying, but only with fewer calories and remorse.

Limit Snacking

With all the pies, cookies and other kinds of sweets and desserts leftover, you may be tempted to pick at them. While I have to admit I may not be able to walk past a bowl of chocolate without grabbing one, some of you may have more willpower. Healthier and more conscious snacking will make you feel healthier and might even help you beat that mid-afternoon slump!

Image Credit: 1 2 3 4 5

I Rock Your Face OFF
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.