This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Name: Gretchen Haislip

Nickname: The G.O.A.T

Major:  Political Science 

Hometown: Smithfield, NC

Year:  Senior

This or that:

Cat or dog: Cat

Books or movies: Movies

Day or night: Night

Soccer or football: Football

Coffee or tea: Tea (Sweet)

Favorites:

Artists/band: Alesana and Justin Timberlake. It’s a tie. 

Movie: The Hobbit and Clueless

Season: Winter

Place: Havana, Cuba

Food: Steak 

Why did you come to PSB?

I have always wanted to go to Penn State and when I began to apply for college something was just telling me to go to Erie. I am so happy I did. The greatest things in life sometimes happen for no reason. 

What surprised you the most about Erie?

The diversity that you can find. Erie is kind of a small college town – which all have extremely diverse campuses. It’s great! 

You’re graduating at the young age of nineteen. How are you doing this?

I went to a high school that allowed me to get my Associates degree when I received my high school diploma. I had 66 credits leaving high school. 

Is there anything you would change or do differently?

I would definitely go out more and experience life with my friends. I feel like due to my age and time at Behrend I have missed out on a lot of opportunities – like applying for the Schryers Honors College. 

Do you have any advice for freshman?

Never let someone tell you that your major, passion, or even who you are is irrelevant and not important. We all have the possibility to make an impact in this world. 

Where do you see yourself after you graduate?

I will actually be moving to Omaha, Nebraska to volunteer with the Americorps. I am happy to be using the time I fast tracked in my college career to help others create there’s. 

Who is your greatest role model?

My grandparents are my greatest role models. They always showed my the importance of a dollar, friendship, and love. They also taught me what hard work can do for you and how anything is possible. 

If you could do anything in the world at this moment, what would it be?

If I could do anything right now, it would be to travel the world with my grandparents and see every culture in the world. 

Thank you for the interview! We wish you good luck with all of your endeavors after college.

Have some fire. Be unstoppable. Be a force of nature.
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.