jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Throwdown: Apple VS Pumpkin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Let’s be honest, pumpkin spice has basically been the cream of the crop for years and has gotten way too much attention. The pumpkin flavor has been incorporated into everything and if we stop lying to ourselves for a minute we can acknowledge that it doesn’t always taste very good. Heck, pumpkin has stopped tasting like pumpkin… it’s safe to say that I am unimpressed. So step aside pumpkin because apple is a thing and it is way better (personally speaking.)

1. Let’s start with the aesthetic – an apple orchard makes for a way cuter photo op than a pumpkin patch. Pumpkin patches are dusty and dirty, but an apple orchard has the gorgeous fall foliage and the vibrant colors of the apples. An apple orchard is basically nature’s instagram worthy wall that we all love posing in front of.

2. You can cook apples and they’re still good. The best you can do with a pumpkin is bake the seeds and those can be hit or miss.

3. Caramel apples. I don’t think I need to say anymore. Have you ever put caramel on a pumpkin? No. Its’ gross

4. Apples pair well with wine and cheese… pumpkins pair well with weird carvings and candles… there’s a time and a place for that and the time and place is always more fun when there is wine.

5. Apples are just really freaking good no matter the season. You can eat them hot or cold, with cinnamon, caramel, or plain – apples are just damn compatible with just about anything.

I’m not here to judge, but while you enjoy your pumpkins, I will be living it up with my apples.

VS

It’s truly not the fall season without pumpkin. Pumpkin is, and will always be, the traditional staple of Halloween. Pumpkins are so diverse in size and color and versatile in so many desserts.

Apple might share the same growing season but it’s a cute sidekick to the main attraction.

1. Pumpkin Patch

Who hasn’t gone to the pumpkin patch as a kid and experienced the joy of being able to pick out a pumpkin of your very own? Half the fun was inspecting all the pumpkins in the patch before deciding on one half your size. And try telling these kids they don’t make a cute photo, I mean come on.

2. Pumpkin Decorations  

Pumpkins are gorgeous on their own, put them on the doorstep or in the window and you have instant halloween decor. Carving pumpkins is classic but there are so many ways to make your pumpkin unique such as ribbon, marker, paint, glitter, ect. Who decorates with apples other than grandma on the dinner table?

3. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Because is it really Halloween without it?

4. Pumpkin Spice

Basic or not, you can find pumpkin spice lattes literally everywhere, even McDonald’s started selling them. They transcend even coffee shop loyalty, but if you are a Starbucks person try a Pumpkin Spice frappuccino with java chips (you can thank me later).  

You can compare apples, personally i’ll be enjoying pumpkin spice everything.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 \5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Nicole Norfolk

PS Behrend '18

Nicole is on her victory lap at Penn State Behrend and is looking forward to graduating with a degree in Communication and Media Studies. In her (limited) spare time, Nicole enjoys reading and binging on the latest Netflix shows. She also manages multiple social media accounts for local organizations and is an opinion editor for Behrend's newspaper. When she isn't downing margaritas, she is usually stressing about what it is she wants to do with her life after she graduates... if you have any suggestions, DM her some ideas for her to kill time with when she becomes an official adult in December. Twitter @nicolenorfolk Instagram @nicolenorfolk
Senior, lover of acapella, sour candy, and everything makeup related 
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.