This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

New year, new me! Amiright?

It’s 2018 which means a new year. A year that we all told ourselves will be better than the year before. The year we finally start standing up for ourselves and dealing with problems from 2004. The year we start taking care of ourselves better whether it be exercising or eating healthy. The year we finally buckle down and become serious about our current or post-college life. The year we decided to make a positive change in the world instead of sitting idly by and letting it fall to pieces. A year full of promises and determination… but for how long?

Each year, the dropping of the ball at midnight signifies the turn of a new leaf. The start of a new era and year with new year resolutions that time and time again start with such hope and motivation but quickly fizzle out. Kudos to those that follow through and stick with their new year’s resolutions. Each person has their own personal goals they want to accomplish in the next 365 days, but many of them are common among most people. Unfortunately, the most common ones are the ones that fail the most. The top ten resolutions that quickly dissolve:

1. Lose Weight/Get Fit

Our absolute favorite new years [failed] resolution. Each and every single year, 90% of the population tells themselves that they are going to lose that freshmen 15 or get in shape for that upcoming wedding. We travel to the gym for the first couple weeks of January then decide that nope, this is not what I want to do. We start to make excuses for not going and start going less frequently until we completely stop going altogether. But hey, it’s the thought that counts. Right?

2. Eat Healthier

This one ties into resolution #1. In order to lose weight/get fit, we have to adjust our eating habits. It starts off with the first grocery run of the year with new, healthy food, meal prepping for the first couple weeks and avoiding those oh so delicious snacks. …Then you realize you don’t have the money to go health shopping again or don’t have the motivation to meal prep so it becomes a cheat day. Then the cheat day turns to cheat dayS then a cheat week and then it’s all over.

3. Save Money

This resolution usually lasts a little longer than getting healthy and losing weight, but usually doesn’t last long. We start moving some of our paychecks into savings, hoping to accumulate enough funds for that special something we want to buy. Then like almost every other person, especially those in college, bills start to pile up. All that holiday money is already gone and you have to start moving the savings money into the bills to make sure you aren’t missing deadlines.

The next six resolutions are often failed and let go shortly after the new year. Each time a new resolution is made, us as humans find reasons to not commit because let’s be honest, most of us have an issue with commitment or change. It’s easier to stick to that lifestyle you’ve gotten so used to. Resolutions and change are hard, but there are many people who actually follow through:

4. Quit Smoking

5. Spend More Time with Family

6. Drink Less

7. Be Less Stressed

8. Branch Out & Try New Things

9. Get Organized

10. Fall In Love

I wish all of you the very best with your new year resolutions!

Happy New Year!

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Brittany is a senior Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior major with a minor in Communications in Art & Mass Media. Along with being a member of Her Campus, she is a member of Theta Phi Alpha and Lion Ambassadors. She is the Coordinator of Publicity for Project Paws and Event Planning Chair for our very own HerCampus. Brittany LOVES to craft in her spare time and is quite the animal and nature lover. Instagram: brittanyt6 Twitter: @brittany_t6
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.