Everyone Loves Pope Francis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Religion is a controversial subject; so controversial that it has been the root of numerous wars. However, Pope Francis from Argentina has somehow managed to be the head of the Catholic church all while still being loved by people of all creeds from all around the world.

So why he is so loved?

1. He’s known to be a funny guy. He tries to make the worst situations better by putting a smile on everyone’s face.

2. He has reached out to other religious branches to breach the gap. As he said in the past, “I want to send a hello to Muslims around the world,” and, “I hope that Christians and Muslims engage in mutual respect, especially through the education of new generations.”

3. He doesn’t walk on eggshells when it comes to the tough subjects, like the mafia and global capitalism. Pope Francis actually travelled to Calabria and excommunicated members of the mafia who had murdered a three-year-old boy with his grandfather and burned their bodies.

4. He understands that in the 21st century we have modern families and he has accepted them. He knows that divorces are common as well as same sex marriages and he embraces the present and future – much different from past men in his position.

5. He cares about the planet and believes in going green, to the point that he tweeted, “The earth, our home, is beginning to look more and more like an immense pile of filth.” (Yes he has Twitter! @pontifex)

6. He is not afraid to make comments on politics and governement. When Trump made him out to be a pawn for Mexico and called him “a very political person” after visiting the border to help those less fortunate in the area he responded with, “Thank God he said I am a political man. Because Aristotle defines a human being as a political animal: At least I am a human being. Am I a pawn? Well maybe. I will leave that up to your judgment. And a person who only thinks about making wall, wherever it may be, and not building bridges, is not a Christian.”

7. He’s a relatable person instead of just a figurehead. Not only does he tweet on a daily basis, he used to be a bartender, and he is also a big football (soccer) fan (roots for his hometown team of San Lorenzo).

8. He’s a tango dancing Pope! Nothing says upbeat like a pope that dances tango.

9. Pope Francis has made a point in dealing with the ongoing issue of covered up pedophilia in the Catholic church. If a bishop fails to remove a paedophile priest he can be removed from office under new church laws.

So finally, if you don’t know much about the Pope look him up, even if you’re not Catholic you can still learn a lot from this beloved man – and I’d say most of the world would agree as well.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Have some fire. Be unstoppable. Be a force of nature.
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.