This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

“Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.”

-Leslie Knope

Valentine’s Day is a commercial holiday meant for celebrating your love for your significant other. A popular trend we’ve been seeing come up is celebrating your love for your friends and family. Expressing your love with special events and plans should not be limited to one day a year. Instead, we should be expressing our love with each other any time we feel it or get an opportunity.

This year, we’re taking a day to celebrate the love we have for the people who have been with us through thick and thin. It’s time to take a break from the boys and let our girls know that we will always appreciate them. Relieve yourself of the pressures of finding the perfect gift, dress, or dinner plans and relax with your gal pals for the night. Galentine’s Day, a holiday patented by the one and only Leslie Knope of Parks and Recreation, is a day of empowering your girls.

It’s a time to spend with your favorite people. Show them how much you love them with a girls’ night in or out. Remember all the good times you’ve had together and how much your friendship means to each other. It’s a day about remembering the important things in life that sometimes we overlook with our busy schedules and relationships. While we look forward to Valentine’s Day and the cute events we partake in on that day, Galentine’s Day is a more casual setting of reflecting on how wonderful life really is.

It’s not for us to forget about our significant others, or to shame a guy. It’s really to remember that there is more than one type of love and there are more days to distribute the love around. Don’t emphasize being single, but emphasize how much love you have to give. Treat yourself with your best friends and make each other feel great. It’s a day of empowerment that we all need. Galentine’s Day is not meant to be a commercial holiday, but a day to raise our spirits and break away from the pressures put on us to be women in relationships. It reminds us about what we really want and how we’re going to get there. Share your dreams and your thoughts with your encouraging gals and remember that they will always be by your side.

Image Credits: 1 2 3

A Californian pursuing a degree in Project and Supply Chain Management. I enjoy finding new places, surf culture, and service.
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.