AHS: American Fan Theories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

It’s fall which means one thing… a new season of American Horror Story.  

This season of AHS will be the seventh season and what looks like the most horrific and suspenseful one to date. The trailers are nothing short of terrifying (especially if you hate anything resembling a clown) but what makes them so terrifying is the ominous, unanswered aspect of the videos. Many fans are asking what is this new season about? How does it tie into the others? Who will be returning? Will it be better than Roanoke?

As I mentioned, with the new season coming out and the biggest question being what this season is going to be about, the second biggest question needing answered is how is AHS Cult related to the other six seasons. Cue all the AHS fanatics that have been spending more time on the American Horror Story connection theory than they probably spend on themselves.

Probably the biggest and most widely accepted theories of how AHS is connected is that the show is actually parallel to Dante’s Inferno. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Dante’s Inferno, it is about the nine circles/layers of hell. The parallel to the layers of hell and the seasons is that each season/circle contains people who are being punished for a certain sin. I’ll break down the circles and the similarities to the respective seasons for you.

**Caution: spoilers ahead**

First Circle-Limbo/Murder House:

The first season of AHS was Murder House which has been said to be the first layer of hell. Murder House contained a lot of dead people. A lot. The entire season was about dead people in the house just kind of stuck there…in limbo. It is said that spirits that were killed and have unfinished business or are attached to something living will remain in limbo, which is what most – if not all- of the characters in Murder House experienced.

Second Circle- Lust/TBD:

There hasn’t been a season paired up with the second circle of hell yet, but if this theory proves to be true I’m sure we will be expecting it soon.

The second circle of hell is lust so we can only imagine what the producers of AHS have brewing for this season.

Third Circle- Gluttony/Hotel:

The third circle is said to match with season 5, Hotel. The short definition of gluttony is those who overindulge. Whether it is depicted as an alcoholic, sadistic monster who feeds on blood, someone who has a hunger for murdering people, drug addict, sex addict, you name it – Hotel has it. Each character in AHS Hotel is guilty of gluttony.

Fourth Circle- Greed/Freak Show:

Season four of AHS is Freak Show. Also apparently known as the fourth circle of hell, Greed. One of the biggest examples of greed in Freak Show is the greed of each “freak” trying to out compete, out wit or even kill each other for their starring moment in the show – especially the two headed singing duo. Many of the actions of each character are fueled by the greed and narcissism of the head singer.

Fifth Circle-Anger/Roanoke:

Last season of AHS was Roanoke Nightmare. Probably (in my opinion) one of the most violent and angry seasons to have ever aired. Each episode showed some sort of violent attack on a character fueled by anger or madness. The legend of Roanoke is said and shown to be led by a very malevolent, angry woman causing death, destruction and sacrifice everywhere she goes.

Sixth Circle-Heresy/Cult:

The new season of American Horror Story, AHS Cult, is said to be the sixth circle of hell which is Heresy. Heresy is the rejection of religious and political norms. The seventh season of AHS was filmed after the outcome of last November’s presidential election. There is a lot of speculation that it is going to be filled heavily with the outcome of the 2017 election and the events following it. But why the clowns? Why bees? I guess we’ll find out in the coming weeks.

Seventh Circle-Violence/TBD:

No season is said to match this circle of hell just yet, but I’m sure the best is yet to come.

Eighth Circle-Fraud/Asylum:

Anyone who has watched season two’s Asylum knows that it is FILLED with false accusations and wrong-doing. All to get those who don’t need mental help admitted to the Asylum and discredited for almost anything they say.

Ninth Circle-Treachery/Coven:

The last circle is treachery and is similar to season three of AHS- Coven. AHS Coven is about witches coming into their power and learning how to cope and deal with them. With that arises new leaders and with new leaders it’s out with the old and in with the new. Although, the treachery lies in killing each other to maintain their status of power.

Although this is the most widely known and accepted theory (due to a picture share from the shows creator himself), it is not the only theory or connection. Each season has scenes and characters or tidbits of information that were previously shown in other seasons. Here are a few:

1. Pig Man from Murder House is the same as the Pig Man from Roanoke Nightmare

2. The mom, Vivien Harmon, from Murder House is related to Dr. Bonham in Freak Show

3. All the Montgomery’s are related which helps tie in supernatural connections

4. Elsa Mars from Freak Show is the twin of Sister Jude in Asylum

5. …Dr. Arden from Asylum is an…alien

6. Freak Show is a twisted, horrific version of Alice in Wonderland

7. The antichrist is blonde and that is why the Countess (Hotel) only takes blonde children.

The theories go on and on and on… some being a little weirder and more far out than thought possible. I could sit here and type them all out for your reading pleasure, but I’ll leave the googling to you.

Season 7, AHS Cult, is sure to bring us a whirlwind of emotion, suspense and generate so many questions. Ryan Murphy and the various actors/actresses of the show haven’t let us down yet so I’m sure this season will be one for the books. The first episode of season 7 AHS Cult will be aired tonight at 10 PM EST, September 5th.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5

Brittany is a senior Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior major with a minor in Communications in Art & Mass Media. Along with being a member of Her Campus, she is a member of Theta Phi Alpha and Lion Ambassadors. She is the Coordinator of Publicity for Project Paws and Event Planning Chair for our very own HerCampus. Brittany LOVES to craft in her spare time and is quite the animal and nature lover. Instagram: brittanyt6 Twitter: @brittany_t6
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.