10 Events to Get You Excited For The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

If you are like me, then seeing the snow fall the past couple of days has been an anxious event. I am not a fan of the cold, bulky clothing, or activities involving snow. However, since hibernating isn’t an option (yet, I am still crossing my fingers scientist come through) I have found some of the best things to do this winter to help you forget about the nippy weather. Grab a date, a friend, whoever and a good pair of boots!

1. Visit a Winter Wonderland right here in Erie

7 nights of magical lights, displays, and performances along the trails at Asbury Woods. There will be gift, and enough Holiday cheer to keep you warm the rest of the winter.  This event takes place December 15-17, and 27-30 it cost $6 at the door.

2. Take sometime to relax this Winter at yogaErie’s Annual Holiday Harmony Flow.

Enjoy a reviving candlelit class and meditation session. A holiday blend will be diffused to add some holiday & aromatic cheer. This event is on December 17th, 4-6pm The cost  is $20 in advance and $25 at the door  

3. See a holiday themed production.

Bring one, bring all to have a good laugh. PACA presents “Another Very Goode Christmas” which will bring “Scandel, Misconduct and Christmas.” Tickets are only $15 and the show if BYOB.The show will take place on December 8th, 9th, 15th & 16th, all at 8pm.

4. Watch Downtown Erie light up at annual Downtown D’Light Event

Go downtown to watch Perry Square light up. There will be free hot chocolate, music and horse drawn carriages. Santa and Mrs. Claus will be making an appearance as well.

5. Go to SantaCon!

Dress up like the very famous Mr. or Mrs. Claus and surround yourself with other holiday goons. There will be food, drinks, and holiday games and activities. You can also dress up like an elf, a christmas tree, or . This years SantaCon is in Ashtabula, OH on December 10th from 11am-6pm.

6. Go to the Barber Center Christmas Ball

One of the biggest holiday celebrations, the Christmas Ball is an event like no other. There is delicious food, drink and dancing. It is a formal gala and cost $95 per person, but goes to an amazing cause (and $60 from each reservation is tax deductible).  

(All of the events above were in or around Erie. The following are in Pittsburgh, only about 2 hours away, and definitely worth the trip.)  

7. Visit the beautiful Pittsburgh Holiday Market

Truly feels like walking around the North Pole. There are a ton of vendors that sell gifts, food, and everything inbetween. This event goes from November 17- December 23. Click the link above for the hours  

8. Ice Skating at PPG Place

After going to the holiday market, go around the corner to an extremely large ice skating rink surrounding a gigantic Christmas tree! For hours and other information click the link above.

9. Shadrack Christmas Wonderland

On your way to or from Pittsburgh, it is a must to stop in Butler for this magical experience. Described as “The most immersive drive through Christmas experience on Earth.” It cost $25 for a car to come through. It is sure to leave you impressed this Holiday Season.  

10. Take place in a Santa bar crawl

If you are of age, a Santa bar crawl is a fun way to show the holiday spirit and also drink some spirits. This is truly the way Santa intended the holidays to be spent. There are bar crawls basically in every city. Click here for the link for the one in Erie and here for the Pittsburgh bar crawl.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Senior at Penn State Behrend Studying Secondary Education in Mathematics  Full time dog mom and taco lover. I love long walks through target and the smell of new purses.
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.