Top 5 Best Coffee Shops to Get Work Done

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

If you’re anything like me, being on campus stresses you out from time to time. The last month of a semester can be particularly stressful. It is at such times that I like to get off campus to get work done. By going somewhere else to do homework and write papers, the possibility of seeing someone I know decreases immensely and therefore, the odds of me getting distracted also go down. So, here are my top five favorite places to escape to…

5. Starbucks (Kennedy Plaza)

Starbucks is a classic homework spot for many college students all over the country. There are two local Starbucks shops available to the PC student, my favorite one for homework is the one down by Kennedy Plaza. It is easily accessible via the RIPTA and unlike the one on Thayer Street, it can be pretty quiet at times other than the morning rush. Starbucks coffee is a classic, the food options aren’t sublime but they’re decent, and the WIFI is reliable. Ultimately, making it a good place to go after class or on the weekends.

4. La Salle Bakery

On a sunny day, doing work at La Salle can be really enjoyable. It is really hard to feel stressed while sitting at an outdoor table with an iced cholcolate hazelnut coffee and pastry. Going to La Salle is really easy since it is so close to campus and so if you don’t want to wast a lot of time in getting to your off campus spot, this is the perfect place to go. The variety of food options and great coffee is also a plus. 

3. White Electric

The only reason White Electric is in third place is because it isn’t as easy to get to as the other options. As a sophomore without a car on campus, I either have to take an uber to get here, or take two buses (the 55 and then transfer to the 31 at Kennedy Plaza). The coffee here is unlike any other, hands down my favorite. There is also really great variety in their food options bagels, muffins, donuts, salads, etc. While it can be really busy here, you don’t feel cramped doing homework here which is always a good thing. 

2. Sydney Café

This café is new to the city and has become one of my favorite places to go. The space is very light and has an open feel, making it nearly impossible to feel stressed. The natural light also makes it easier to stay alert and attentive while you type away at your computer. The coffee at Sydney is really good and they have a wide range of options. Not to mention their off menu hot chocolate is actually to die for! Their pastry selection is limited, however no two days are quite the same. The sandwiches are really good, I personally reccommend the Roasted Broccoli Sandwich. Overall, its really enjoyable being productive at Sydney.

1. Small Point

Finally, my all time favorite place to escape to off campus is Small Point Cafe. On Westminster St. it is really simple to get to, just take the RIPTA to Kennedy Plaza and it is right around the corner. Something about this place just puts me in the best mood ever. The Iced Mocha is one of the best ones I have ever had, and to make things even better all of their coffee is fair trade and organic! A huge plus, and the reason why I’m able to be so productive here is that where you sit to do work is sperated from the line to get food and coffee. Less distractions, great coffee, and delicious food. There isn’t that much more you can really ask for!

And with that, I leave you with a classic Gilmore Girls gif. Adios Providence coffee addicts! 

Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.