Rihanna and Instagram: To Censor or Not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Rihanna is one of the most popular stars in the music industry.  As many of you can agree, she may be one of the hottest stars as well.  She has been both girls’ and guys’ #wcw for years and was named ‘Sexiest Woman Alive’ by Esquire magazine in 2011.  If you are one of her 12 million Instagram followers, then you can completely understand how she earned this title.  However, Rihanna has recently been under fire by Instagram for the racy pictures she is posting to the social media app.  This past week Rihanna posted a photo of her topless cover for Lui magazine.  The photo violated Instagram’s censorship policy, causing the app shut down her account until the photo was removed.  Rihanna fired back with a post of her face photo shopped on a woman wearing a turtleneck and the message “Rih’s Next Magazine Cover if it was up to Instagram.”

The 26-year-old singer clearly doesn’t agree with Instagram’s policy.  Are you on RiRi’s side or the popular app’s?

Emma DeSantis is sophomore at Providence College. She is studying marketing and hopes eventually work for an advertising agency after she graduates. Although from Massachusetts, Emma has spent the last eight years going to school in Rhode Island and feels like she has a little bit of the tiny state always in her heart. She enjoys reading blogs, watching fashion YouTube videos, and loves reading magazines.