Outside the Gates: What You Need to see in the Ocean State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Don’t get me wrong—there are some great spots right around campus that we are not looking to leave behind like Newport Creamery, Big Tony’s, and of course La Salle. There are so many hidden gems in this great city that it’s worth it to either grab your keys (or your roommates!) or hop on the Ripta to see just a little bit more of what Providence has to offer.

1. Geoff’s Superlative Sandwiches – Benefit Street

If you haven’t been to Geoff’s, you have not lived. They have every kind of sandwich you could ever imagine and you can get it on different breads, rolls, and wraps to get the best flavor. Yes, their sandwiches are great but you CANNOT miss out on the pickles. Even if you aren’t the biggest fan of pickles, you must try these. They’re homemade and marinating right in the middle of the shop and you can take as many as you like! Need more convincing? Tuesday is Buy One Get One Free! See you there! #FriarFoodie

2. Garden City – Cranston

While this may not be in Providence, it’s a MUST SEE of Rhode Island. A short drive away in Cranston is the best shopping center, Garden City. They have all the best options—including some stores the Providence Place doesn’t have! From Anthropologie to Lulu Lemon, there is nothing you can’t get here. And if you want to get your #FriarFitness on, check out Pure Barre! It is the best workout that shows immediate results.

3. Succotash – Richmond Street

Downcity is the amazing brunch place, Succotash. They have everything you could ever dream to eat: from the healthiest, freshly pressed juices, to the gooiest chewiest s’mores French toast. You don’t want to miss this unique spot, and for those that are 21+, check out the cocktail list!

4. Zuzu’s Petals– Thayer Street

Most of you have probably been to Thayer hundreds of times, but have you ever been to Zuzu’s? They have the cutest dresses from the best designers, including Nicole Miller, Lilly Pulitzer, BCBG and so much more! Make sure you check out their sale rack, its awesome!

Throughout all of your adventures in Providence and throughout Rhode Island, don’t forget to document them! Post your favorite food finds on Instagram with #FriarFoodie and if you find the next best place in the Ocean State, tweet us and we’ll feature you @HCProvidence!

Faith Hollis

Providence

On an endless search to find the the best internship, the best food, and the best shoes; wherever these may bring me. CC at Providence College, Marketing Major.