Kelley Garland ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.
Kelley Garland was recently elected Class President for the Class of 2016. With this exciting news in mind, we decided to ask her a few questions to get to know her better. Congrats on the election, Kelley!

Name: Kelley Garland
Age: 20
Major: Global Studies

Why did you run for student government?
I always loved being involved since high school, so when I first got to campus freshman year, Student Congress definitely caught my eye. When elections came up at the end of September freshman year, it seemed like a great way to get involved right away and to meet more people on campus. 

What do you plan to do as class president?
I really hope to continue the momentum from Friar Ball with our class. Junior year is definitely one that will be filled with events– the Senior Ring Weekend Core has already started planning the Ring Premier for the Fall to display the official Class of 2016 ring design (there will be a second one in the Spring for those who are abroad in the Fall!), as well as Junior Nights in McPhail’s in the Spring. I want these events to be memories our entire class can look back on after graduation. Other than events, my plan is to continue to pass legislation to make campus better for everyone– making the process to declare a major/minor less paperwork, adding a crosswalk by the Lower Campus Gate across Eaton Street, and making our campus more environmentally friendly. But most importantly, making sure what 2016 wants is heard! So always feel free to reach out to me or any of the other members of Congress!

What are the daily activities of a member of student government?
An elected official is definitely kept busy. Class officers have a class meeting once a week to plan events and to discuss changes they want to see on campus and another meeting with a committee based on their position. All members of Congress meet every Tuesday at 5:30 in Ruane LL05 to hear from different members of campus, whether it is Father Shanley or Chuck Haberlee, as well as discuss and vote on legislation. It is definitely a commitment, but I love every second of it!

What is the number one thing you want to change as class president?
There’s a lot of things I would love to change, but reality is I hope to get as much accomplished as possible. I want the student body to become more involved with Congress by attending our meetings and reaching out to class representatives. We are only a small portion of the population of the campus; we want to know what changes you want to see! 

Who is your political inspiration?
Definitely Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban because she wanted an education. She is only 16 years old and her activism for education and for women just proves that if you want to see change, it is possible. After an assassination attempt, I do not think many would continue to fight for what they believe in out of fear– she is so courageous, and I hope that I can be as passionate as she is with everything I believe in.

Faith Hollis

Providence

On an endless search to find the the best internship, the best food, and the best shoes; wherever these may bring me. CC at Providence College, Marketing Major.