Girls Just Wanna Have Funds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

It has hit that point in the semester when a lot of us cringe to even think of looking at what is left in our bank account.  Where could I have possibly spent all that money I made over the summer? Now, let’s be real – it is tough balancing money as a college student! Between all the school work and trying to keep up with our social lives, it can be tough to have to worry about money too.  From chipping in for Uber rides, that Tobi dress that you just HAD to have, and the far-too-often regretful late night Big Tony’s, we do a lot of spending as PC collegiettes. Take these tips to be more cautious in the areas that we tend to put a lot of our money towards!

1. Peace, Love, and Caffeine

It’s Monday morning; you’ve got an 8:30 class, followed by seminar and a test in the afternoon.  You tell yourself that as much as you could save the money and the calories, going to Dunkin is the only way you’re going to get through the day.  … And you repeat this rationalization for the rest of the week.

I get it – college girls live on caffeine!  However, there are much cheaper ways to get your fix without spending a few dollars at Starbucks or Dunkin everyday.  Try out the coffee at Ray – they usually have hot and iced coffee.  Now it may not be your favorite pumpkin spice or peppermint mocha, but it is still caffeine! If this isn’t for you, investing in a Keurig or a cheaper simple single-cup coffee pot for your dorm or apartment is a perfect option.

2. A Girl’s Gotta Eat

By the time November rolls around, we’ve all had enough Ray for a lifetime, and our Alum money is slowly creeping into single digits.  How can a girl turn down a trip to Chipotle on a Saturday afternoon? And Providence has so many great food options, between Thayer Street and Federal Hill, you’re just exploring the yummy treats the city has to offer, right?

Getting off campus and trying new restaurants is awesome! Just set yourself a limit and stick to it.  Tell yourself you’ll only eat off campus once every two weeks, or only get a coffee at La Salle on Sundays (with no muffin to go).  Whatever plan works for you, just set it and stick with it!

3. …A Girl’s Gotta Drink Too

With all the stress that college students have to deal with, a lot of us live just waiting for the next weekend to arrive.  We justify spending a LOT of money on alcohol.  According to the Student Health Services at UPenn, the average college student spends over $900 on booze a year! 

Once again, the key to limiting your spending on alcohol is by setting a budget! Maybe after a couple of drinks you start to become a little too generous with your credit card at the bar.  Take out cash beforehand and only bring the amount that you’re okay with spending for the night.  Leave your credit card at home, and your bank account will thank you the next morning!

4. Undercover Shopaholics

We all love clothes.  Whether it be new Lulu leggings to make going to the gym a little easier or the online shopping cart you’ve finally filled with Tobi dresses that will last you for the next five Whiskey-Wednesdays, our inner-shopaholics can rack up quite a tab.

The number one way to limit your shopaholic tendencies is to utilize your friends’ closets.  College is the perfect place where your wardrobe can easily quadruple if you just share with your roomies and friends!  Another way to save is to create a list of a few items you really need, or things that will be universal in your wardrobe.  It will be so much worth it if you save up for the pair of versatile boots you’ve been wanting forever, rather than just blowing a bunch of money on a random Forever 21 spree!

Try sticking to a budget and limiting your spending in these common areas, and your bank account will love you in return!

Katie is a freshman at Providence College, and is majoring in Health Policy and Management with a Math minor.  She is from Connecticut and loves her hometown of Rocky Hill.  Katie enjoys the fall, good music, running outside, and the beach.
Faith Hollis

Providence

On an endless search to find the the best internship, the best food, and the best shoes; wherever these may bring me. CC at Providence College, Marketing Major.