Campus Cutie of the Week: Mary Kennedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Name: Mary Kennedy 
Year: Class of 2014 
Hometown: Wellesley, MA 
Relationship Status:
Currently unavailable. 

So let’s talk about your home life. Do you have siblings? Yes, I have an older sister and a younger sister. We’re very close.
Any pets? We have two kittens, one named Ollie and one named Pip. They were rescues and their original owners named them Mushi and Lo Mein. It didn’t really feel right.
Why did you decide to be a Global Studies major? The professors in that department are amazing, and the homework doesn’t feel like work at all. It’s enjoyable, actually.
Have you ever traveled anywhere? Yeah, I’ve been to Sydney, Australia as well as Montreal, Canada and a few different states. And Disneyworld.
Do you have any stand-out experiences that happened while you were on a trip? Well, this summer my friend asked me if I wanted to go to the International Jazz Festival in Montreal so the next day we just packed our bags and headed up to Canada. We listened to some great music and met a lot of different people.
Were the people cool? We met a really nice Australian boy and gave him a ride back to Boston. So, we didn’t bring back souvenirs, but we did bring back James The Australian. Normally I don’t advocate picking up hitchhikers, but you could tell he was a good guy. Anyway, when we were crossing the American border, we were listening to Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the USA”. And it was Canada Day. We actually left Canada the day that Prince William and Kate Middleton were visiting, so maybe everyone was too occupied to realize his passport was from Melbourne, Australia. 
That’s a pretty cool story. Has anything unusual happened to you while you were traveling locally? This one time I was riding the T in Boston and I was on the orange line by myself. A man stumbled onto the train and hanging from his wrist were some broken handcuffs. He started talking about what a hard life he’s had and stumbled off after a couple of stops. I was not fazed.
I wouldn’t be either. So since your weekends are clearly very eventful, but what does your ideal Saturday evening look like? Hmm. Ideally, my roommates and I would go on a shopping spree, eat fantastic pizza, and then see an awesome concert. Then we would go back to our dorm and watch Friends.
That’s easily one of my favorite shows. Do you have any guilty pleasure TV shows? Yeah, Pretty Little Liars and Millionaire Matchmaker. Because I like seeing millionaires getting matched. I watch it with my roommate though, I wouldn’t watch it alone. It’s like a bonding experience.
If you had to be a character in any show on TV, what would it be? Community, definitely. It’s a really funny show.
What’s your favorite Disney movie? It’s a tie between Mulan, Aladdin, and Pocahontas. An honorable mention would go to Lion King 1 ½ .
You mentioned shopping. Do you have any favorite stores? I would say H&M. I shop around, but I tend to find a lot of stuff at that particular store.
What’s something no one else would know about you unless you told them? I can play guitar. And I’ve hung around Olneyville, RI at night and lived.
What’s your number one dream job? I think it would be really fun to work for a radio station or a record label. But I’m still figuring it out.
Relationship-wise, what do you look for in a guy? I like a guy who has a nice smile, a good sense of humor, and can be really sarcastic. It wouldn’t hurt if they were good dancers and had excellent taste in music either.  Ideally, I’m looking for Justin Timberlake.
Excellent choice. What don’t you like in a guy? Lax bros. Or bros in general. You know those ones shotgunning beer, doing the keg stands and chugging until their livers cry? That doesn’t necessarily excite me.
What’s the worst date you’ve ever been on? One time this kid wanted to meet up with me at the beach, but I was with my friends so I blew it off. We ended up meeting up anyway and took a walk around a farm which, looking back on it, was definitely not public property. He wanted to get high which was really romantic. Shockingly I wasn’t feeling it. He also didn’t have any shoes, which baffled me because there were rocks everywhere and all I could think throughout the entire thing was “don’t his feet hurt?” We never talked after that.
What’s the best/worst pickup line you’ve ever heard?  This is both the best and the worst one I’ve ever heard – “Mary? Put another ‘r’ in that name, and that’s what we’ll do.”
What’s the best/worst gift you’ve ever received? The best gift I’ve gotten would probably be my guitar. The worst…my little sister once gave me a box full of sparkles. That was my Christmas gift. But that was kind of like the best worst gift ever because she was probably six and thought it was really special. I think I put them back in the cabinet. But looking back it was pretty cute. 

Samantha Galasso is from Wilton, CT and is the founder of both the Providence College and Villanova University chapters at HC. In her spare time, she enjoys napping, sarcastic commentary, inappropriate jokes, hanging out with her fellow Pi Phi sisters, "Friends" marathons, and general activities being ”liked” by the mass majority of people on Facebook. Her goals in life include writing the next great American novel and making the Billionaire Obituary in Forbes.