10 Things You Can Do For Earth Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Tomorrow April 22nd is Earth Day and contrary to Republican belief, climate change is real. Earth day is a celebration of the wonderful planet that we have the privilege to call home. To say thank you to the Earth for being the best (and only) home, here are ten way to show it some love. 

1. Clean Up A Local Park

Litter is definitely not green. Get a couple friends together to go to a park and clean it up a little bit. A clean park is a win-win, the Earth wins and your local community wins as well!

2. Start a Compost pile

Food waste is obviously bad (wasteful!), so what better thing to do with it but put it back in the Earth! You’re also saving the insects and other animals from the harsh aspects of artificial fertilizer.

3. Have a Low or No Waste Day

Try to conduct your day in a way that creates little to no waste. Ditch the plastic containers, find uses for things that are usually thrown away. 

4. Shop Local

The transportation of food across the country and even across the world creates a lot of pollution. Through shopping locally you reduce the distance that your food and products have to travel and save a little wear and tear on the planet. 

5. Plant Flowers (Or other plants)

Make the Earth beautiful and green :) Also, make sure you plant bee friendly plants! We need bees to pollinate so that we can have food and flowers.

6. Don’t Eat Meat

The meat industry is a large pollutant, so tomorrow and other days try to cut down or eliminate your meat. There are other ways that you can get your protein that are less harmful to our home. 

7. Switch Your Bills to E-Bills

Bills are dumb! You don’t want them anyway so might as well save some paper and trees by switching to e-bills.

8. Write a Letter to Your Representatives for Green Legislature

Write to your local and federal level representatives to enact legislature that will help save our planet. One example is to rejoin the Paris Agreement, or laws that require 

9. Ride a Bike or Walk 

Carbon emissions is obviously bad for the environment. In order to decrease your carbon footprint, walk or ride your bike to where you need to go.

10. Recycle!

Paper, Plastic, and so many other materials are recyclable. Be careful about what you throw away! Make sure you recycle as much as possible tomorrow… and every day!

Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.