Jane Randall: America’s Next Model Alum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Jane Randall is beauty, brains, and brawn. It’s not every Princeton collegiette™ that wield’s the triple B’s, but Jane doesn’t let her success in the academic, lacrosse, and modeling arenas get to her head.  We’re pleased to present our interview with Jane Randall, my favorite America’s Next Top Model contestant.

Her Campus Princeton:How was your Princeton experience?
Jane Randall:  I have absolutely loved my experience at Princeton thus far and look forward to returning for the Spring 2012 semester. It wasn’t until I took time off from school that I realized how much Princeton has become a part of me.

HCP:Is there anything you wish you knew as a freshman or a Princeton student in general?
JR:  I wish that as an underclassman I took greater advantage of the incredible resources our school offers. For example, meeting with professors outside of the classroom, listening to guest speakers or just walking into Career Services. There are so many people on campus who want to help students. It’s just a matter of taking the initiative to ask.

HCP:How did you end up on America’s Next Top Model? Was modeling a career that you’d had in mind as a child?
JR: Not at all. I was very much a tomboy growing up and my only career ambition in elementary school was to coach the Miami Dolphins. Once I hit my growth spurt as a teenager, some family members suggested I model but I never took the idea seriously. It wasn’t until the fall of my sophomore year when a photographer approached me in New York City that I decided to proactively pursue modeling. Some friends took my picture in our dorm (more of a joke than anything) and I sent them in to a few agencies. During this time, I happened to be watching Gossip Girl on cwtv.com when a link to the Top Model casting popped up. I sent in my pictures to Tyra.com and later found out Tyra wanted me to come to the New York auditions for Cycle 15.

HCP:Since your season of America’s Next Top Model, have you gained a new perspective regarding reality television?
JR: My time on ANTM gave me an inside look into both the filming and production of reality television. Without going into specifics, I better understand how every reality program creates storylines and characters that are intended to appeal to audiences.

HCP:The judges often talked about your ‘lack of personality’ and things of that nature. How would you describe your personality?
JR: I consider myself to primarily be an easy-going and relaxed individual. During the filming, I purposefully avoided saying or doing anything controversial. I wanted to leave ANTM with my reputation intact. I suppose that translated into a more boring on-screen persona than the producers and judges wanted.

HCP:How would you describe your style?
JR: Since working as a model in NYC, my wardrobe mainly consists of black basics (like tanks, leggings, and skirts) that I wear to castings and jobs. My actual style is much more colorful and I love the classic collegiate looks found in Ralph Lauren and J.Crew.

HCP:What’s next?
JR: Currently I’m modeling full-time in NYC. I will return to campus for the Spring 2012 semester and then commute to the city for various modeling opportunities. Once I graduate I intend to pursue a career in news broadcasting.

Photo Credits to Anne Menke and Patrick Demarchelier.

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.