Etsy Shop Spotlight: Urbbody

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Fashion Icons Credited To and Used With the Permission of Jessica

Introduction
We know what everyone says about Princeton fashion. They say that we all look like we stepped out of a J. Crew catalog; now that isn’t a problem, but the lack of diversity in our stylings is an issue. Where is the fashion experimentation? Where is our drive to dress to impress?–dead with the flowers held hostage under the snow. Believe it or not, spring is soon to come which means new clothes. I don’t think that we intentionally fall into the roles of J. Crew models, but what else do we know? Trendy has become the way of life in almost all stores. Modcloth, American Apparel, and Urban Outfitters are more similar than they ever were before. Unique pieces are hard to find. Enter Etsy. Etsy connects the sellers with the buyers in a unique way. Hand-made products, that are one-of-a-kind and often custom-made, are not only really unique but perfect for Princeton collegiettes. In the upcoming weeks we will highlighting our most recent favorite shops on Etsy!

Urbbody owned by Cate (Princeton, New Jersey)
Not all beauty products are meant for everyone’s skin, and with the rough weather that we face at Princeton, we need skin care that will hold up against the wind and chill. Cate, a resident of Princeton, completely relates to the sentiments of Princeton women, and Urbbody is for us: Princeton collegiettes! As a herb-loving modernist who makes handmade soaps nad body care products that she uses on a daily basis, Cate has completed a master herbalist program through the American College of Health Sciences. She uses her mastery of this program to create unique bath and body products for every woman.

Her Campus Princeton: When did you essentially open Urbbody?
Cate: I opened my store June 2007, but I wasn’t actively selling and really promoting it until about October of that year.
Her Campus Princeton: What spurred your opening of Urbbody? Why did you feel that there was a need for your inventive bath and body products, and how have your customers responded to your products?
Cate: I have very sensitive skin, I suffer from rosacea and just seem to react badly to a lot of ingredients. By making my own skin care products, I could control what was in them. And I thought some of things I made, especially my solid perfumes, seemed like things others would buy. So far, customers have given me really good feedback on everything.
Her Campus Princeton: How would you concisely describe Urbbody for our readers that are unfamiliar with your Etsy shop?
Cate: Aromatic! Really, I make things in scents I like and wear myself. My Pumpkin Pie & Lavender perfume is my most popular selling item (by far!) and it is very aromatic. I tell people a little goes a long way!
Her Campus Princeton: What is about Urbbody that would be appealing to Princeton collegiettes?
Cate: I live in Princeton, and I am a real person with sensitive skin dealing with our lovely New Jersey winters, so the products I make are ones I use myself. I am using the same sugar scrubs and lotion bars in my shop. I take care when making them so they meet the kind of expectations of quality I have, and the expectations I know my customers have as well.

Our Favorite Urbbody Items

Visit Urbbody here and Cate’s all natural homecare and cleaning Etsy shop: Urbhome here!
Follow Urbbody on Twitter to receive special discounts!
Make sure to stay tuned for the giveaway! Remember that the “code word” is underlined.

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.