What it Takes to Be a Successful Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Victoria Beccar Varela

Year: Freshman

Dorm: Fields

Major: Organizational Communications

Fun Fact: Victoria was born in Argentina!

1. Take time for yourself. 

Victoria finds cooking to be very relaxing. You can find her making quesadillas every Sunday night in Fields. She’s also a big believer in the healing power of naps. 

2. Get off campus.

As a local, Victoria enjoys showing her friends around and taking them to her favorite restaurants. When life on campus can get repetitive it’s best to adventure outwards. 

3. Find friends that you can rely on.

Victoria commented that it’s really useful to have upperclassmen friends. Juniors and Seniors know how difficult the transition to college is and they can help guide freshmen. Also it’s great to de-stress by venting to your friends.

4. Be real about your stress/ workload.

Victoria went to an art school for high-school and so she found the academic transition to be especially difficult for her. For all students, going from high-school to college is a huge shift in what’s expected of you. Most freshmen don’t know that others share in this stress. If you’re open about your stress you’ll probably find that others have had similar experiences.

5. Find what organizational method works for you.

Victoria stays organized by using a planner and color coding all of her notes.

6. Be honest about your major.

Victoria came in as a marketing student but quickly realized that math is NOT her jam. It’s okay to switch your major. This is the time to switch!

Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.