Wellness Tips to Try this April

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you have already started counting down the days until summer break. With one week to go until Easter break and two more weeks to go until Dead Week, the semester is coming to a close. Now you may be wondering: grades, and social life, and health, oh my! Yes, projects, tests, and papers are becoming oh-so real. Yes, there are more end of the year social events to cram into your calendar. Yes, through it all, it is a good idea to remain healthy in order to manage your calendar. How to do this? I’ve compiled a list to get you going strong through April.

1. Grades

Studying is definitely important, but sometimes it’s unrealistic to expect yourself to be as productive in the beginning of the week as you are at the end of the week. Monday and Tuesday I tend to feel most productive, slamming out assignments like a pro. By Wednesday, my productivity stalls. Instead of panicking, think of ways to give yourself a break. Set a thirty-minute alarm and take a power nap. Go to the gym for thirty minutes of cardio. Have lunch with a friend. It’s not about blowing off your homework, it is about setting it aside in order to focus on yourself first before tackling that seemingly endless to-do list.

2. Social Life

There are only two weekends left to spend with friends, and twenty-six days in between classes and homework to socialize. How do you manage to make the most out of your time with your buddies? One simple way is to hang out with them while doing things that you need to be doing anyways. For example, you and your bestie can arrange a study date together. Even if you’re not talking, it is good motivation to sit with your friend and study in solidarity. Another thing you can do is go to the gym with your friend. Go on the elliptical with your gym buddy or take a workout class together. Another thing you and your friends can do together is grabbing breakfast, lunch or dinner. If on the weekends, you tend to sleep in, then you can have a good reason to wake up if you plan a breakfast date with your gals. Then you can feel more productive later on.

3. Health

Both emotional and physical health are important. Often times, I dig out my planner and become overwhelmed as I see how much I need to get done in a month. It is good to plan for the month, but life will feel more manageable if you focus on a few tasks you can do each day. Ask yourself, what can I get done today? Allow yourself to feel good about what you have done. If you are struggling with being productive, put away that biology book and take a break. Productivity comes and goes in waves, which is important to remember. Your physical health is important as well. Don’t replace sleep for caffeine. Even an extra hour of sleep can make a huge difference.

Hello, my name is Madison Hughes! I love creative writing, reading historical fiction, baking, and running! I am from California and I am studying in Portland. This will be my Junior year, and my first year writing for HerCampus. :)