This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Welcome back home! And to those who are freshman or transfer students, welcome to your new home! This is your time. This is your adventure. Right now, at this point in your life, you’re free to be anything you want. You’re free to make your own choices and accomplish those dreams that you’ve stored in the back of your mind. This is the time in your life where it’s okay to focus on just yourself. Find your passion, do what makes you happy, check off those bucket list goals and enjoy every minute of it.

To celebrate being back home, here are some of the amazing, every day, little occurrences that make going to college such an exciting, once-in-a-life-time experience.

1. Your best friends are by your side all day long.

You live with each other, they’ve seen and heard everything about you and vice versa. They’re there through the ups and downs and will never judge you. And best of all, they know that a dance party, in PJ’s, on a Wednesday isn’t up for negotiation.

2. You get to know your professors.

They love what they teach and they want you to love it just as much. They’re so willing to work with you and help you understand the concepts.

3. Bedtime is somewhere between 1:00 am and 2:00 am.

It’s fine, everything is fine. These are normal bed-time hours, I swear. Just remember, sleep is important. 

4. Ice cream night is every night.

This is a judgment free zone. Eat the ice cream.

5. Every weekend’s a party.

Yes, in addition to the stereotypical fiestas, Netflix, in sweats, with too many blankets, popcorn at the ready and Christmas lights galore, constitutes as a pretty lit party.

6. You have a buddy to do laundry with.

You know it’s laundry day (as does everyone who lives around you), because you and your roomie are blasting your favorite songs and dancing around your room, hanging up clothes on anything with a hook, while simultaneously getting the next load into a massive pile that takes up the majority of your floor space.

7. It’s acceptable to simply roll out of bed in the morning in order to make it to your 8:10 on time.

No make-up? Sweats? It’s okay because the rest of the class is wearing the same thing.

8. Fries are available at almost every hour.

Enough said.

9. It’s a test drive before actually entering the real world.

If you mess up and make mistakes now, it’s okay. You have many support systems. Now’s the time to explore before you’re actually living outside of your campus bubble.

10. Everything’s at your fingertips.

Being on campus, you’re surrounded by people, organizations and resources to help you in any situation. Whether you need someone to talk to, ways to get involved or help with anything, there are lots of on-campus resources.  

11. Impromptu trips are definitely a thing.

It’s Tuesday night, we just finished dinner but nothing we have looks good for dessert…so obviously a trip to a fancy dinner place is necessary (and of course only ask for the dessert menu!).

12. College student discounts.

Honestly, one of the best perks! People understand our financial situation and are willing to accommodate us by giving us discounts. Take advantage of cheaper movie tickets, lunch specials and the Amazon Prime student rate.

13. Setting goals for yourself with your new independence.

This is the first time you don’t have your parents hovering over you. You don’t need permission before you make decisions. Go and do!

College is, as they say, one of the best times of your life. Take in every minute of it! Good luck with this year and be sure to live for yourself!

Hello! I am an Elementary Education major at the University of Portland. I love writing, the outdoors, swimming, reading, drinking tea, and watching movies. I am a firm believer that to live a successful life you must do what makes you happy. :)