nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

It seems like all you ever hear is “eat healthy and exercise!”  Those things are important but they’re mostly for your physical health.  Yes, I know.  You’ll feel better mentally when you exercise (cuz endorphins).  And if you eat healthier, then you’ll be able to study/focus better and it’ll improve your body image.  That’s all well and good. 

However, it takes more than that to be mentally healthy.  It means having great relationships so you have supportive friends.  It also means, allowing yourself to take time out of every day just for you. And NOT FEELING BAD ABOUT IT! Sometimes we feel guilty because we should be doing homework.  School is extremely important.  The whole reason you’re here at the University of Portland is to get that degree and get the hell out of here.  But you can’t lose yourself in the process.

School is not as important as you or your mental health.  It’s fine to take a break and do something fun.  Read a non-textbook-book.  Watch Netflix.  Eat cookies.  Paint your nails.  Whatever! The point is that it makes you happy, relaxed and refreshed.  Then, you can conquer whatever task still needs to be completed. 

I’m not saying that this is an excuse to get behind on schoolwork.  Make sure you’re up to date and prepared.  All I’m saying is that it’s important for you to take a moment for yourself.  Or else you’ll be so tightly wound with stress that it can come out in non-constructive ways.  If you’re worried about keeping on track with your workload, talk to your professors.  A lot of the professors here understand that your mental health comes first.  It’s actually really helpful to go to their office hours to let them know if you’re struggling.  They’re there for you. This school also has amazing counselors in the Health Center that listen to whatever you have to say.  It may seem like no one you know ever sees a counselor, but it’s just not something everyone feels like talking about.

I know its winter and everything is gloomy and school is hard but you have the capability to not let all of that overwhelm you.  You have the tools to take care of yourself.  You have leisure activities you could do.  You have support systems at this school that will listen to you.  You have friends to talk to.  Also, don’t forget about people who care about you who live back at home. 

2016 was hard, but 2017 has the potential to be a better year.  You can do it.  UP is rooting for you.

I love University of Portland!